Frame paint blending

AtoXS

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
This winter I plan to pull the motor to at least do a topend rebuild, maybe more and will be striping the frame to paint/powder, but in the meantime I would like to ride and for it to look done before the snow flies. Would anyone have a recommendation on a good brush on paint I could use to hit the hardtail as well the areas I've stripped for new welds that would look somewhat close to factory?
I would prefer to do it all at once, but pulling the motor just to put it back in for a few weeks of riding only to pull it again just doesn't make much sense, plus this will give me time to see if anything doesn't work together or breaks in the process.

Hi Ato,
it's just a temporary patch-paint to keep the rust off the bare metal so you can test ride the bike before the planned full teardown?
A quick fizzover with a rattlecan will be OK for that.
But why do you want ugly blobby welds like the ones from factory?

I want to brush it on since that will be more controllable and least chance of overspray. As far as the ugly factory welds, yes the ones that are still there will get some cleanup when the frame is striped. Right now I just want to ride it and get some good photos before that's not possible.

I got some VHT roll bar chassis paint that worked pretty good on another bike. Another trick to cover things up from over spray is aluminum foil. You can conform it easy to what you want covered and no tape.

I spray quality rattle can gloss black into the cap and brush it on from there. It's thin at first but thickens rather quickly depending on your shop temp, just keep adding paint to the cap as you work. The spray nozzle from carb or brake cleaner with a straw is a bit neater than the spray can cap but paint still can "get spread around". A small artist's brush makes for better coverage with few or no brush marks. If you want it to look real nice; after a few days rub it a bit with blue magic on a rag it'll blend in quite nicely.

Like 5t sez rustoleum is good for this.

Plain old Rustoleum works well. I use it for frame touch-ups all the time.

My grandpa would spray the can upside down. And when the pressure is down he would poke a hole with nail drain the paint and paint with a brush.

I painted my entire frame with appliance epoxy black. of course it isn't as tough as real paint, but is a lot tougher than regular enamel spray. doesn't cost that much more either.

Back