frame paint question

slackjaw44

greasy summmbitch
Reaction score
I'm stripping all the paint off my frame tank etc, got it most of the way done right now; so the question is if i just leave the tank/frame bare metal will that cause problems?

I'm going to shoot some clear coat on it when i get the paint all off and leave it

thoughts?

if you prep and spray everything properly, no it should not be a problem.

the problem is that later, with time the clear coat turns less than clear and can ruin the look a bit. some people also report rust under the clear... this is where proper prep and sprying comes in. just make sure the bare metal is rough enough to promote adhesion of the coating

I do this alot and yes with time you will get some rust spots. I use a brush on the end of a drill and run it all over tank and fender and it puts a cool pattern in and use good clear at least 4 or 5 coats. Looks good when sun hits it.

if you go to your local jobber(paint supply store) you can get metal prep. it is basically an acid that you use to prep the bare metal. this metal prep is corrosive so wear gloves. take a rag, put some metal prep on rag, rub down metal. let sit out in damp garage or basement for a week. try not to touch the bare metal with bare hands once you've washed it. after a week of sitting out you will see uniform rust appearing showing the strokes you made with the rag and acid. don't do a thing just clear it. if you don't want the rust, skip putting the parts in the basement and just wash with the acid, dry with air, and clear it. the metal prep provides adhesion needed without making sand scratches.

Back