Frame taps on 1980 xs650 frame

rem61

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello fellow xs lovers,

During my current 1980 xs 650 build I got a little too excited and didn't pay attention to a couple of tabs during my tear down. I'm hoping someone can tell me what the taps I've circled are for. I'm pretty sure one is for the rear fender. I've de-tapped most I don't need for my cafe build and don't want to cut anything off I may need. I'm not using any stock fenders. Any help as always would be appreciated.

Attachments

• View 1.jpg
    View 1.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 159
  • View 2.jpg
    View 2.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 161
#1 is where the centerstand spring hooks into. #2 I think is for the height adjustment bolt for your rear brake pedal. So, I think you'll definitely want to keep #2, #1 will depend on whether or not you're keeping the centerstand on the bike. Wait, I see you already cut the centerstand mounts off, lol. Guess you're not keeping it. You may regret that when it comes time to change a tire, lol.

Ttwins, thank you for your response. That all makes sense. Yes, got rid of the massive center stand and I realize changing a flat won't be fun. Hopefully there well be a log on the side of the road if that happens. Appreciate it!

Back