FROM SAO PAULO ASKING FOR INFO ON ELETRIC STARTER KIT

OSWALDO PEPE

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Dear Sirs, I just bought a 1974 650 A which is in pretty good condition; the only problem seems to be the engage of the electric starter that fails regulary; I know that there is a kit that solves this problem but I am not able to know it name, parts number or so. This makes it difficult to research for the said parts, can You help. Thanks for an old motobiker from down here, Sao Paulo, Brazil

Welcome to the forum!!
This what you're looking for?

https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs65...oem-447-15516-00-90468-29062-90501-15409.html

1667776165957.png

Please be aware it doesn’t always fix the problem. I installed it, squeezing the spring clip as directed, replaced the #4 gear, everything by the book. The rest of the gears all look pristine. After all that, 1/2 the time the starter doesn’t engage- and it’s even a new starter!. It reminds me a lot of trying to fix the same issue on early 80s Viragos. Guess its a Yamaha thing.

I had to upgrade due to my original just being worn out. I tried several different methods of squeezing the spring but it still would not pass the fishing scale test. This is on a ‘75 and although it is a huge improvement it still kicks out occasionally. I also have a ‘76 that I am unsure if anything was ever done to the starter yet it never gives me any problem. Maybe it is just a Yamaha thing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply but ir seems that the parts I need refer to the eletric starter engage - it is a usual problem in these machines, sometimes the eletric starte engages, sometime it does not. This is clearly an indicative of the parts needed. I do not know if the parts above solve this problem, can you see for sure. I much appreciate this friendship among us, old motobikers..

Thinking out loud here
Perhaps a description of the symptoms can give us a better chance.

The starter is drawing a lot of electrical power so it can be a starting point to service the electrical wiring and -- Maybe the starter motor itself Battery ? someone else can chime in I use Kick only so I dont know if the starter motor can need service

when it comes to parts list those can be found on line at the websites selling parts

https://www.ronniesmailorder.com/oemparts/l/yam/50041918f8700209bc7852c5/1974-tx650a-parts

bem vindo de minnesota

Ok I Googled it :whistle: but I meant it too even in English

If you have questions these guys have answers

Back