Front axle. What am I missing?

Lance Weersma

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
1972 xs2.

I took of the front wheel to get new tires put on and now there is a 3/4" gap on the speedo side.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 305
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 213
Hi Lance,
the '72's front disk is the only one that attaches like that, all the later years disks bolt to the hub and as I've never seen one I can't give too much help.
BUT
The axle should have a castle nut on it's threaded end not a plain nut and there shouldn't be that much thread sticking out past the nut but OTOH the brake disk is lined up with the caliper OK so WTF?
The speedo side fork leg endcap nuts can be loosened so the leg can be moved on the axle so the speedo drive mechanism will engage with the notch in the fork leg.

The axle should have a castle nut on it's threaded end not a plain nut and there shouldn't be that much thread sticking out past the nut but OTOH the brake disk is lined up with the caliper OK so WTF?
The speedo side fork leg endcap nuts can be loosened so the leg can be moved on the axle so the speedo drive mechanism will engage with the notch in the fork leg.

Thanks, the large nut holds the disk brake assy together. I have a castle nut that goes over that but not shown in the picture. Can I pull the extra distance / gap out the non threaded side then clamp down?

When I pull the extra out of the non threaded side this is what it looks like. Normal?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 177
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 185
Hi Lance,
the photos seem to show that the '72s forks don't have a notch to locate the speedo drive, it's clamped by the axle instead?
What the book sez about positioning the clamp-up fork leg on the axle is to bolt the threaded side up tight, slacken off the clamp nuts and vigorously pump the forks up and down with the front brake hard on. Wherever the fork leg positions itself after that is where it wants to be so do the clamp nuts up.
Book also sez to tighten the front nut first to fully close the gap then tighten up the rear nut.

Yes, many of these front axle clamps get mounted a certain way. If you look closely at the clamp you will see one side is a bit thicker than the other. There will also be a direction arrow stamped on the bottom. The thicker side should be on the front and the arrow should point forward .....

AxleClamp.jpg

Then, as mentioned, the front bolt is snugged up so there is no space between the clamp and the fork. Rear bolt is then tightened and there will be a gap there.

No ,your second picture is wrong,push it back in and tighten the first nut on the axle.You were right the first time.
When you tighten the castle nut you will see that it all falls into place.

Hi Lance,
the photos seem to show that the '72s forks don't have a notch to locate the speedo drive, it's clamped by the axle instead?.

Some bike forks have the notch/locator/dogs to position the speedometer drives, some don't. My Goldwing uses a drive that was used on many other models and years of other Hondas, the drive has locators on its casting but the forks have nothing, the manuals specify a certain angle and then the axle gets tightened. After the axle is tight the drive is virtually just a spacer, not needing the locators but the cable must attach at a good angle.

Scott

Last edited:
Back