Front Brake Master Cylinder / Switch Assembly Corrosion

SCARE

Scareous XS650
Reaction score
11kl1xz.jpg

Howdy, so my new XS650 Special is great, I just took it for a Warrant Of Fitness test (here in New Zealand) to get it roadworthy.
It failed on one thing (I'm happy with that), as it has been off the road for years.

The taillight/headlight doesn't go. They were going, until I jiggled the front brake switch in order to get the non-working brake light to work. Now the brake light works and others don't!

Obviously, as you can tell by the photos below, it is more than likely due to the corrosion all around and under the front brake master cylinder!

a24swo.jpg

2mpg2n9.jpg

2d975uc.jpg

1z6qv6t.jpg

My question is which parts on mikesxs (or somewhere else) will be the best replacement for my setup, and ease of swap-over.
They all look slightly different. I am running dual front discs.
So, new master cylinder, brake switch, switch assembly, and lever. I want to replace the lot. Any help with pointing me in the correct direction would be appreciated.

My frame number is 447-910-658, and it is a XS650 Special, like I said with dual front discs.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Could be as simple as taking apart and cleaning up all the connections in your right hand handle-bar switch. Did it for me.

Any switch that comes apart can be cleaned, in fact the first thing that shoukld be done is to go through all connections, (bullet, I used a dremel drill on all the female connections, and plugs), switches and earth connections and clean them and resemble with an electrical grease. This will do wounders for your charging system, will be less of a load and it will last longer if it is in good condition.

You need to use the 78SE wiring diagram for your bike, Scroll down to my post with the diagrams. 79SF/2F doesn't have the Light on/off switch in the left handle-bar switch, US models, and the diagrams are for the US market

Last edited:
That on-off switch may be specific to your market. My '78 Standard (US model) only has the "On" and "Off", not that "PO" in between them. So what I'm getting at is that the US wiring diagram may not be quite right in regards to how that on-off switch hooks up. Yours seems to have a third function besides just on and off.

5twins, yes it is, I think the Euro market had it as well.

I have just done this when i re-loomed my bike with an old one i had, The only diagram that was the same, (except for the park light), was the 78E. We have a Blue/red wire from the ignition switch, that is the park light, when the headlight on off right handle-bar switch is in the middle, (park). On my loom the Blue/red comes out of the 4 prong connector and marries up with a Blue/yellow into a female connector for the male from the park light in the headlight.

Bought one of Mikes headlights that had the park light in it.

NZ and Aus had the same bikes. Oceania

You know that guy Andrew - in Pukekohe - XS graveyard. He's ok to deal with for 2nd hand parts...

I have messaged him, so here's hoping.

Still in the dark as to what part numbers I'm looking for if Andrew doesn't have the goods.

Feel free to point me to some links at mikesxs..

It is a XS-SF then yeah? Is it a Oceania SF, or are they just SF's?

Thanks a million guys..

btw, tried to get into the switch block last night to clean out the connections, and holy hell, the screws must be corroded/bound in, as it snapped the tip off my phillips impact driver!!

Back