Front Brake Release

Shipper

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
New MC, new connection box, new callipers (taken apart and seals double checked) - and still having some trouble with the callipers releasing completely. Its a single disc front on a '75xs 650. The pads are contacting the rotor but the rotor will definitely still turn - not completely freely. Brakes applied the rotor is static as per normal. Brakes released rotor will turn again but pads are still in contact.

Have read all of previous threads (I think) - have tied lever back overnight and release slowly in morning, have bled all banjo screws and connections (multiple times), have bled through the bleed screw (multiple times). Still get slight bubble release in MC when I pull lever and then let it snap back. Slight bubbles when pulling lever again.

Any more advice other than continuing the dilemma?

A LIGHT rotor scrape if it hasn't been ridden yet is normal. Gary's easy bleed: turn twist angle till it's all uphill from caliper to reservoir, on some bikes systems you have to remove a part or two. Walk away for 10-15 minutes, done. Rubber banding lever does nothing. Manually retracting the pistons fully and pumping them back out with the lever a time or two can help, especially if you can't get a complete uphill path. this moves all the fluid (with any trapped air) out of the caliper.
Are the lines new also?

A LIGHT rotor scrape if it hasn't been ridden yet is normal. Gary's easy bleed: turn twist angle till it's all uphill from caliper to reservoir, on some bikes systems you have to remove a part or two. Walk away for 10-15 minutes, done. Rubber banding lever does nothing. Manually retracting the pistons fully and pumping them back out with the lever a time or two can help, especially if you can't get a complete uphill path. this moves all the fluid (with any trapped air) out of the caliper.
Are the lines new also?

Thanks Gary. I have been working with it on the Gary "uphill twist" and I don't believe I would be as far along as I am without it. I agree that the rubber banding is unproductive as I have done it twice now with no visible results. I will snap release the lever again today (all day) and if that doesn't improve the situation, I will wait to ride it and see if that shows improvement. As per your message, the rub will inhibit free spin on the wheel but I wouldn't say it is severe.

Thanks again.

A little drag is normal on most of these. To judge whether or not it's too much, check to see how hot the disc has gotten after a short ride. Lick your finger and touch it. If you don't lick your finger, you can burn it if the disc has gotten too hot. I take it the pads are new too? Things may loosen up some once they bed in a little bit.

A little drag is normal on most of these. To judge whether or not it's too much, check to see how hot the disc has gotten after a short ride. Lick your finger and touch it. If you don't lick your finger, you can burn it if the disc has gotten too hot. I take it the pads are new too? Things may loosen up some once they bed in a little bit.

Betting on it. And ya the pads are also new as are the shims and lines. The old system was too far gone and roached out to save any of it. I'm thinking that it needs a run - although, I will still get faint bubbles in the MC after letting the lever snap back. No bubbles anymore at the blled screw.

Back