Front brake switch blowing the main fuse.

lonzo22

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I checked all of the wiring topics and could not find one like this. My bike is a 1980 xs 650 special. I added some hard shell bags using Krauser K mounts up ala 5 twins, I removed the turn signals and added L.E.D. turn signals/ running lights. Used a Napa 3.99 constant flasher well, that is where my story takes off. The clutch side bar switch would not always kill the blinker so I ordered one from Mike's Xs
I removed the original and threaded the new one through. the 2 grommets are still in the head light bucket BTW, I wired it up exactly like the original. there are no pinched wires, no naked or bare wires inside the head light bucket, the signals are working correctly on each side the head light and horn are working correctly.
When I cranked it up for a ride it would blow the Turn Signal fuse but the bike ran I just did not have neutral light or signals. I looked at the connections none were out of sync. I looked at the fuse panel which admittedly was not in the best shape
I used a Radio Shack panel and rewired the fuse panel. Things were working now when I press the front brake lever it will slowly kill the main fuse. any help would be appreciated
Has anyone ran into this before. I read on here where one gentlemen bought a rear brake switch and it would kill his battery. At least I have it isolated down to the front brake switch not sure where to go from there.:banghead:
thanks

Do you mean it blows the 20 amp main fuse? It should blow the 10 amp signals fuse first.

With electrical problems, its best to divide the problem area into 2 pieces. Disconnect one of the front signal leds, then test again, to see if the short circuit clears or continues.

"Do you mean it blows the 20 amp main fuse? It should blow the 10 amp signals fuse first.

With electrical problems, its best to divide the problem area into 2 pieces. Disconnect one of the front signal leds, then test again, to see if the short circuit clears or continues."

Yes that is what I am saying. It is not blowing the 10 amp it is blowing the 20 amp. While it is not running the blinkers work perfectly When It is running up until I apply the front brake lever it works perfectly. One can switch from high to low beam, switch right and left turn signal off and on while it is running. Blow horn up til the point you apply the front brake lever. Then the Main 20 amp fuse slowly blows. However I will try and see if it is any difference thanks for the help.

"Do you mean it blows the 20 amp main fuse? It should blow the 10 amp signals fuse first.

With electrical problems, its best to divide the problem area into 2 pieces. Disconnect one of the front signal leds, then test again, to see if the short circuit clears or continues."

Yes that is what I am saying. It is not blowing the 10 amp it is blowing the 20 amp. While it is not running the blinkers work perfectly When It is running up until I apply the front brake lever it works perfectly. One can switch from high to low beam, switch right and left turn signal off and on while it is running. Blow horn up til the point you apply the front brake lever. Then the Main 20 amp fuse slowly blows. However I will try and see if it is any difference thanks for the help.

I thought the signals were still causing a problem, but you say they are OK now. The brake light/front brake switch gets its power from the 10 amp signals fuse, so any short circuit on the brake light circuit should blow the 10 amp fuse.

The fact that you're blowing the 20 amp main fuse, could point to a short in the tail light bulb/socket. As a test you can remove the tail light bulb or bulbs if you have 2. Leave them out while you operate the front brake lever.

I thought the signals were still causing a problem, but you say they are OK now. The brake light/front brake switch gets its power from the 10 amp signals fuse, so any short circuit on the brake light circuit should blow the 10 amp fuse.

The fact that you're blowing the 20 amp main fuse, could point to a short in the tail light bulb/socket. As a test you can remove the tail light bulb or bulbs if you have 2. Leave them out while you operate the front brake lever.

Wow I will try that. It has been raining down here hopefully dry Monday I will report back.
Thank you.

quote:
Originally Posted by retiredgentleman View Post
"I thought the signals were still causing a problem, but you say they are OK now. The brake light/front brake switch gets its power from the 10 amp signals fuse, so any short circuit on the brake light circuit should blow the 10 amp fuse.

The fact that you're blowing the 20 amp main fuse, could point to a short in the tail light bulb/socket. As a test you can remove the tail light bulb or bulbs if you have 2. Leave them out while you operate the front brake lever."
Sir, I am not quite sure what is going on. I took the bulbs out and there was no change. It blew another fuse. I took the head light back out of the bucket. I traced the wire from the front brake handle down to the headlight bucket. I found a brown and a green yellow stripe from the front brake I unplugged the wires then plugged them back up seeing no scrapes, or burned spots. Reinserted the tail light bulbs and started it back up applied the brake not once but several times. So far It has not blown. So I tried the blinkers and the horn. I may be dumb but not totally stupid. It makes absolutely no sense to me.
Ok Perhaps I am stupid. we eliminated all other possibilities. The fuse panel, the the tail light bulbs but, just unplugging and plugging the wires again make that much difference? Could it be a front switch going bad? I will go for a short ride and post findings. Thank you for your help. I know the bike is 34 years old it was built in March so the wiring is that old also. I would buy a wiring harness from Mikes xs but I hate the thought of those glass fuse panels and no place really to mound a blade type unless I remove the RLU.:)
Thanks for bothering with my post I will let you know.

If you haven't done so, you really should remove and eliminate the RLU. They can and do go bad, causing all kinds of strange electrical problems. Maybe it's the source of yours. Instructions for removal are here, you need to jumper a couple wires together is all .....

http://www.excess650.co.uk/tips & tricks.htm

I used a matching plug for the harness RLU plug so my "jumper" is "plug-and-play".

RLUJumper.jpg

If you haven't done so, you really should remove and eliminate the RLU. They can and do go bad, causing all kinds of strange electrical problems. Maybe it's the source of yours. Instructions for removal are here, you need to jumper a couple wires together is all .....

http://www.excess650.co.uk/tips & tricks.htm

I used a matching plug for the harness RLU plug so my "jumper" is "plug-and-play".

RLUJumper.jpg

Thanx I will look into that RLU it appears if I take out the RLU there would be enough room for a 5 spot blade type fuse panel. would you suggest that as an option even though I used a new Radio Shack panel and rewired it I just don't trust the glass type fuses. Thank you for any help. A lot of your videos really helped when I started resurrecting the bike a couple of years ago.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 150
Retired Gentlemen,
I put it back up and rode for about 10 -15 minutes It appears to be doing fine But as 5 twins suggests I will look into the The RLU it maybe time for it to go. Not Sure it is 100% cured but at least she is a live once again. Thanks for all your help I was stuck to say the least.

Attachments

• IMG_0534.jpg
    IMG_0534.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 124
Thanx I will look into that RLU it appears if I take out the RLU there would be enough room for a 5 spot blade type fuse panel. would you suggest that as an option even though I used a new Radio Shack panel and rewired it I just don't trust the glass type fuses. Thank you for any help. A lot of your videos really helped when I started resurrecting the bike a couple of years ago.
I found an old RLU and cut the plug off of it and then jumpered the Blue wire with Black stripe to the Blue wire with the Yellow stripe. and it did eliminate the need for the RLU Thank you. Now if no more gremlins appear perhaps I can do some riding.
Thanks gusy for your help.

Back