Front Cam Chain Guide / Guide Stopper

If you are in there I would replace it with a new one.
Wouldn't You feel bad if you put it back together and that old piece of plastic came off in a few thousand miles
I replaced chain, guide, and tensioner when I went in

yea, the rear as well then?

Im tearing into my 79 engine for my first time. In terms of the cam chain / tensioner / front and rear guide, how much of this should be purchased from mikesxs vs boats.net?
I dont want to order the wrong stuff from boats, some of the numbers seem a bit complicated to figure out exactly what you are getting.
Also, does the cam chain need a special tool to separate the links or can this be done with standard tools?

There have been some recent reports of low quality front guides from Mike's. I'd be inclined to spend the extra money and get an original from Boats.net. Believe it or not, their chains are cheaper too. Roll down to #27 and #28 in the parts list here, the 94500 Tsubaki chain and the 94600 Tsubaki master link .....

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Y...S650SE-11/CAMSHAFT-CHAIN TENSIONER/parts.html

The other chain and master link listed is the D.I.D. brand and costs about $5 more. 3M at 650Central favors the Tsubaki chain.

To split the old chain, locate the master link .....

FactoryLink.jpg

..... and grind the pin heads flush. I use a cut-off wheel in a Dremel .....

GroundLink-Small.jpg

Then, a couple taps with a pin punch on the pin heads should knock the link right out.

Thanks 5twins. You are a book of knowledge. I just noticed that the camchain 2 and tensioner arent even available at boats.net. Is there another reliable source for these?

Sounds like I dont need the cam tool, just a grinder and a new masterlink.:thumbsup: (I will be replacing my chain as well)

Well, I try to help the best I can. Granted, I do lose it occasionally with some posters. They're, plain and simple, mechanical morons. They have no business holding wrenches in their hands while they're near a motorcycle. They do more damage than they "fix".

I try my best to be "civil" but sometimes the stuff you guys do just pushes me over the edge. I'm not going to apologize for this, you deserve the brow-beating, even more (like the revocation of your tool set). There's a right way to do things and many wrong ways. I see the wrong ways illustrated here much more than the right way, even though I try to correct that with my posts.

The XS650 is a wonderful old bike. If you're going to pick an old classic bike to own, this is a very good choice - very long production run (near 15 years) and high volume production (over half a million). The bikes and the parts to fix them are out there, and can be had at a reasonable price (if you shop). Don't fall prey to the first eBay or Craigslist offering you see.

Back