Front end electrical issues

MikeC23

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am in the process of putting new headlights, gauges, and turn signals on my 79 special. So far, the tail light and both the front and rear brake lights work, the electric start works, the horn works, and the turn signals work but don't blink. Now I get to the headlights and can't find anything supplying constant power for running lights, nor can I get any power for the high beams. Based off of the wiring diagram that I have almost everything (except for the ground) should be coming out of the controls on the handle bar (I.e. dark green and yellow) but there isn't any juice coming through those at all. Am I missing something obvious? BTW, fuses are all good.

Its normal for the turn signals to not flash, if the engine is off and the battery is only at 12.3 to 12.5 volts. Once the engine starts and the alternator is producing 13 to 13 .5 volts at idle, the flasher will have enough current flow to start flashing.

Power for the headlight, comes via the Safety Relay, which is only switched on when the engine starts and the alternator starts to produce voltage on the yellow wire that runs to the SR. From the SR, power then flows through the Reserve Lighting Device, and on to the dimmer switch.

RG, A 79 should have a headlight on/off switch and on my bike i can turn the headlight on without the engine running?

RG, A 79 should have a headlight on/off switch and on my bike i can turn the headlight on without the engine running?

That would be true for a 1979 Standard, but MikeC23 was asking about a 1979 Special.

In North America, the "Lights" switch was deleted on the 1979 Special, and can only be turned on via the SR..

My 1978 Special has the "Lights" switch, and can be used with the engine off, or if I leave it off the SR will turn on the headlight.

That makes so much sense as to why the lights aren't coming on with just the key. Does this also hold true for the gauge backlights?

Back