Front end / fork problems

nyhc396

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I just picked up an 81 650 bobber, hardtail frame with stock front end. I can't figure out why the front end dives so badly. I had new seals put in the forks, didn't help although it no longer leaks oil. I put in about 7 oz of 30 wt oil in each fork, then adjusted the preload to the max setting (not easy), and it still dives a good 4 inches just from touching the brakes and bottoms out easily over potholes (I live in NYC). Could the stock springs really be THAT bad? I'm kind of at a loss right now, anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

very worn stock springs? especially if you are running 30w, stock spec is 10w.

My best guess? Something was missing and the seal replacer didn't realize it was missing so it is still not there. All these parts need to be there. The front wheel should be off the ground when setting preload.

FRONT_FORK.png

fork parts.JPG

Last edited:
Going off what Gary said Im thinking the p.o. cut the springs and lowered it but didnt make a spacer for the damper. #12. My stupid friend lowers bikes that way and trys to pass it off as a "softer" spring.

Going off what Gary said Im thinking the p.o. cut the springs and lowered it but didnt make a spacer for the damper. #12. My stupid friend lowers bikes that way and trys to pass it off as a "softer" spring.

This is a definite possibility, I guess I can pull the springs and measure the length. Either way I guess I should be ordering new springs. Should I just get stock replacement springs since the bike is much lighter then stock or should I look to the progressive rate performance springs?

cutting the spring would make it stiffer because it increases the spring rate.

This is a definite possibility, I guess I can pull the springs and measure the length. Either way I guess I should be ordering new springs. Should I just get stock replacement springs since the bike is much lighter then stock or should I look to the progressive rate performance springs?

I would figure out the amount that was cut off and make a space the same length.

How much drop do you think your working with?

Posted via Mobile

Ok, so I finally got a set of brand new springs from mikesxs, put in 7 oz of 30 wt, and its a little bit better but STILL diving. There are no oil leaks so I assume the guy did the seal job right. I also set the preload on the highest setting, required some serious arm strength! STILL bottoms out on a panic stop. Is this normal for an XS? This is my first one. I also am noticing a what sounds like a rattle from the front forks when partially braking over bumps but I can't really tell where its coming from. What else could it be??

7 ounces of 30wt. should make those forks very, very stiff. I would take them apart and inspect the damper rods. Maybe someone drilled them out and they're not "damping" any more.

Like 5twins and gary said, either something is missing or the damper rods were drilled out too big.

wild speculation here. Maybe some one had cartridge emulators in the forks at one time and they are gone now I think they drill the damper rod holes big when they put in the emulators at least on some bikes....

Back