Front end lock install?

igya

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone swapped out the steering head lock? Mine '74 lock has been removed and I want to install a new one. But, do you simply slip it in place and use a friction pin to keep in it? It looks simple enough, but before I drive the pin into the lock boss, I'd like to make sure that's all there is to it. Advice would be much appreciated.

Look at my restoration, i just did that a month or so ago ... Yes, it goes lock, then plate, then tiny washer, then friction/splined pin... Make sure the cover plate is flat, other than the handle/ hook part

Look at my restoration, i just did that a month or so ago ... Yes, it goes lock, then plate, then tiny washer, then friction/splined pin... Make sure the cover plate is flat, other than the handle/ hook part

The image is too small to make out any details. Could you do a larger attachment? Hey, I appreciate the info on the lock. That would be a pretty easy lock to dismantle by simply bending the cover plate out and off, slide the lock out, and your beloved 650 is history. I'll keep using the ol' pad lock on the front disc system as well.

Not to hijack the thread but on my 77' the bars only lock if they are turned to the right...opposite of most modern bikes, however with my hardtail the bike only sits on the kickstand with the bars to the left...anyone know if there's a fix for this?

Not to hijack the thread but on my 77' the bars only lock if they are turned to the right...opposite of most modern bikes, however with my hardtail the bike only sits on the kickstand with the bars to the left...anyone know if there's a fix for this?

This is what I know about the right locking mechanism. There's a hole cut in the triple tree shaft that the the lock pin goes into to lock the steering. If it locked to the left, the left fork leg would be in the way of the lock. If you think that you COULD access the lock with it turned to the left, you could drop the bottom fork clamps out of the bearing head and drill a hole in the shaft opposite of the existing hole at the correct angle. But, an easier way might be to shorten the side stand. Just a thought.......

Back