front engine mount MIA

ProSimex

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I started poking around the chopper project that I bought the other day and noticed a lack of front engine mount. after looking around in the boxes of parts i found 2 dandy little chromed plates bent and drilled that looked like they would fit the bill. After finding what appeared to be the correct bolts I tried installing them. no dice, the holes dont quite match up. So no biggie Ill just drill em a bit bigger and stick em on.

Question A: is this a terrible idea?
Question B: if so does anyone have a stock engine mount they wanna part with for meager amounts of beer/food tokens?
Question C: has anyone had any luck fabricating these mounts and if so have you any advice?
Question D: whats the down low on "fuck the front engine mount, thats what the top and back one are for!!!"

A: you dont want too much slop in your bolt holes. but something is better than nothing.

B:nope, sorry

c:not yet, couldnt be too hard. i think the important part of it is it acts as a support between the two frame tubes. with that being said i have seen a bunch of front motor mounts with nothing in between the rails.

d: the debate is usually about guys not running the top motor mount. i havent heard anything about not running the front.

my frame got tweaked a little with all the welding and the bolt that goes through the engine and the top bolt through the rails line are the ones that like up now. the bottom bolt doesnt. i still ride it.

Dude, just check ebay, they have an abundance of XS parts on there and I'm sure the front mount wouldn't be hard to find for cheap.

Those might be the rear mounts, where the upper rear of the engine bolts to the seat post.
The front mount on the 74 up bikes is a one piece mount. The earlier bikes had the two piece mounts.
Personally, I wouldn't run a bike without all the mounts. The top mount gone puts extra stress on all the other mounts. It also weakens, thats not exactly right. With the top mount it adds extra stiffness to the frame up close to the steering head. This extra or lack of stiffness can effect the handling of the bike. I think the same applies to the lower and rear mounts and how stiff the rear of the frame is. The engine acts like a stressed member of the frame.
Leaving out mounts is like cutting out chuncks of the frame,
Leo

If things go right on my forward controls I could sell you my bolts. Seriously though they are only like $3 or so apiece from Yamaha. Those plates you found that look like the might fit the bill might be for the exhaust. Also it wouldn't be hard to make new mount plates...all you need is some 1/4 plate and some spacers made from tubing with a 10mm Inside diameter. The bolts are M10.

Back