Front Fender for 81 SH

rshane53

ramjet
Reaction score
Has anyone fitted a front fender from a Virago, XS Eleven, or other model to an XS650? I believe that the XS400 is a direct match, but I do not know about the other models. I am looking for a rust free front fender for an 81SH.

When I was swapping the 35 mm front end onto my 75, I wanted to use a later style fender. The 75 without the braces looked kinda poorly with the holes.
I bought an XS1100 fender, looked the same in the pics. Put it on, looked very nice till I rode it.
The brace under the fender acts to stiffen the fork as well as support the fender. The 75 fender has a much heavier brace than the XS1100 fender. The XS1100 has 37 mm tubes and as such are very stiff. they don't need the heavy brace.
Try to get an XS650 fender, you need the heavy brace.
Leo

Thanks for the info. I have been looking at fenders from other models and they looked similar, but I wasn't sure. My rusty fender has an inner brace and the metal is pretty stiff. Mikes XS sells a replacement that they say is good as a stiffener, but I would prefer an original Yamaha fender.

Watch out for the leading axle fenders as they won't line up without drilling a new set of holes in the brace......can be made to work but chances are good you could find what you need in the classifieds here. '79 through '83 Specials..

Back