Front fork noise

Tonup

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I've just rebuilt the forks on my 78 with new seals and they seem pretty soft and I'm getting some strange noise.

I have the adjustable preload set all the way down on my fork caps and when I bounce the front of the bike (sit on it and push all my weight on the handlebars) it drops easily and I can hear a squealching sound. It sounds like the oil and air being forced around in the forks but I don't why why I am hearing this.

I added the amount of fork oil specified in my manual and it's the correct viscosity. Any ideas what I may have done wrong?

I don't think you did anything wrong, with the stock amount of oil in there, you will hear it sloshing around when you pump the forks. If you want an improvement in fork action and the elimination of that noise, try a bit more oil. I run 7 oz. instead of the stock spec of just under 6.

Stock springs are usually weak by now. You can either add about a 1" long preload spacer or replace the springs with aftermarket progressives.

Problem solved! I looked in to buying progressive springs and they starting at around $65 for a pair which I can't justify right now. Instead I managed to fix the issue for $1.60.

I added the extra oil as you suggested and then tried to find something to make the 1 inch spacers from. After pulling my shed apart I realised that the existing spacers were identical size to an Australian 10 cent piece. So I added 80 cents to each fork, screwed the caps back on and added full preload and hey presto, no more sound and good response under full weight!

:thumbsup:

Problem solved! I looked in to buying progressive springs and they starting at around $65 for a pair which I can't justify right now. Instead I managed to fix the issue for $1.60.

I added the extra oil as you suggested and then tried to find something to make the 1 inch spacers from. After pulling my shed apart I realised that the existing spacers were identical size to an Australian 10 cent piece. So I added 80 cents to each fork, screwed the caps back on and added full preload and hey presto, no more sound and good response under full weight!

:thumbsup:

And you'll always have spare change!!:D

Back