Front hub slides back and forth...

medic51

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have an 81 frame that has been hardtailed. I noticed today that the front wheel slides back and forth on the axel. It is a spoked wheel with a disc on it. Is supposed to be spacers?

god this is why I love choppers... the front wheel has nothing to do with whether the frame has been hardtailed or not... here is a parts breakdown of the 81 front wheel assembly left side needs the speedo drive, right side has a spacer, this is assuming all of the rest of your wheel is there

Attachments

• FRONT_WHEEL.png
    FRONT_WHEEL.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
The hard-tailed part was extra info,kinda like those word problems in school. What I should have said is,I have a rolling chassis and motor and that is all,I got it cheap and am just going through it to see what all I will be needing to finish it..I didnt tear the bike down so Im still learning what all little parts I need. This is my first time to build a bike. So..From the diagram it appears I am missing some stuff,specifically the speedo drive and a spacer on the right side. If Im not running a speedo how do I take up that space?

The speedo drive also covers and seals the bearing. A little spacer tube won't do that.

DiscMountCover.jpg

Same with the spacer on the right side, it's a bearing cover as well.

Back