Front Hub swap

Lluber

Noob
Reaction score
So I need to replace my 64 Spoke front hub with a 36 spoke hub.. Looking on ebay for replacements..any years that do or dont work? Will I be able to keep my brake rotor or will that have to be replaced too.. Havent started this yet just looking to get everything lined up before I start pulling stuff apart and replacing.

thanks guys

Stay away from the '72-'73 front hubs. They don't have a bolt-on disc. Anything newer will accept your current disc.

If you are wanting to stay with the same type of rim you will want one from the specials.

If you pick up a hub from an XS650, 1977 and later, I am sure it will accept your brake rotor and fit your axle.

I won't give argument to 650skull. He's probably correct, but I know the earlier bikes had a two piece brake rotor. 1977 models started the most current brake assemblies.

The old and new brake rotors swap. However, lacing up a 16" REAR rim to a disc FRONT hub may present problems due to the difference in spoke nipple angles.

The old and new brake rotors swap. However, lacing up a 16" REAR rim to a disc FRONT hub may present problems due to the difference in spoke nipple angles.

OOOPS! I managed to miss that part. It's not a number I expected to see related to the front. It has been done.

781-1024x768.jpg

621.jpg

XS1 didn't have disk brakes, so its an XS2 hub (not sure if the 73TX is the same as the XS2). Seller doesn't know what he has

The second hub only shows one side so could be an XS2/TX hub.

A lot of these guys know nothing about the parts they sell and use a general description meaning you get the wrong part thinking it is what you need

2nd one is '74 or newer because it has bolt holes for mounting the disc. That's what you want. The 1st one is '72 or '73 because it has no disc mount holes. The disc mounts to the carrier which fits into the slots on the hub. You don't want that.

Stay away from the '72-'73 front hubs. They don't have a bolt-on disc. Anything newer will accept your current disc.

5twins, in the brochures i have on the 73TX it shows the front disk with the 6 bolts to the hub. Do you know if the 73 had the same set up as the XS2.

Some (many?) 73 TX650's have the rotor bolted to the hub. So if the hub has the 6 bolt holes you are good. TX 750 hubs fit also.

I don't know where I got the idea that the '73 disc wasn't bolted on, parts diagrams maybe? We know they can be wrong though. So yes, just look for one with the 6 bolt holes. And to add more choices, TX/XS500s.

Awesome.. Thanks everyone. I posted here on the forum in the wanted section before I make any moves on ebay. I'd rather help out a fellow forum member before going the ebay route.

Back