Front sprocket fit

brianis

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
just curious if a front 18 tooth will fit a 74 also any advice on a setup that will get me to 65 -70 comfortably it has stock setup now 17-34 its a hardtail chopper I’m not looking to win races just to make it highway speeds to take on poker runs and shows a town or two away

Doesn't matter what year the bike, They are all 17/34 except Canada where some Specials were 17/36.

personally i think it is better to go with less teeth on the rear than up a tooth on the front. Being a chopper the bike should be lighter than a standard bike. try 17/32 and the chain length doesn't have to change

1 tooth on the front = 2 teeth on the rear

True on what it equals but for me it’s quicker and easier to change the front as the question states will a 18 fit on the front with standard chain clearance. If i do the rear sprocket I have to remove the wheel lift the bike re adjust brake and dick with getting the rear wheel spacers and axle back in without chipping powdercoat changing the front sprocket all I have to do. Put it on the lift pop out like 5 bolts and then there the sprocket is and readjust the rear wheel. Also front sprocket is half the price of the rear time is money

Last edited:
Wasn’t sure if anything changed on the 650s throughout the years many other bikes I deal with make changes around that area based on years

I gave my opinion...............Sorry i couldn't get back for your 3 questions. In the time waiting for a reply. If no one is answering, try using the search. Type "18 tooth front sprocket", (or try variations), brings up all necessary information regarding the reasons for, against, and why from a lot of people who have done this

"So again"............kinda pushy as a lead into a sentence. I'm on here as a hobby not for someones demands or beck and call

Hey skull wasn’t trying to be pushy but also wasn’t expecting you to answer right away either was just putting it back out there. Before I got off for the night.

With standard chain it it's a snug fit, with 0-ring or X-ring chain you might have problems. Puts the chain REALLY close to the clutch push rod.
Removing the rear wheel is too much work? LOL

Ok so removing the rear might not be to much work but changing the front sprocket is quicker and as I said half the price of the rear if I don’t like the setup. I don’t want to have sprockets laying around if I don’t need them

Back