Front Sprocket lock washer and bunged up threads

XSWestgate

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been browsing the site and appreciate that you guys are here to help out hacks like me. I've taken on a bike and everything is going well so far based on what i've browsed on this forum but now i'm going to get into the details that I need to ask! (still have charging, ignition, and electrical to go)

Let's start small. Can you guys/gals tell me which Die size to use on these threads? i'm assuming it's an M20 x 1.5 but I can't quite track down information that makes me confident in that assumption.

Once I can spin a nut on there without damaging it, i'm hoping that will take care of my other concern. I don't appear to have any space for the lock washer, is this normal before tightening the nut on there? I've cleaned away any debris behind it but it doesn't look like the clearances are normal.

Thanks for your input!

Kyle

http://www.xs650.com/threads/ever-u...ou-have-one-heres-a-how-to.33883/#post-343359
One of the best "ass savers" in my tool box.
Yes your set up looks right it's a bit of a trick get that lock washer in there just right and have it stay there while you tighten the nut. . I know this because of how many I've removed that were all f#$%^'d up. I can usually just flatten the poor mashed up washer with a hammer, file the notches a bit and reuse. Note; the recessed side of the nut faces in.

Last edited:
Hi All,
I've been browsing the site and appreciate that you guys are here to help out hacks like me. I've taken on a bike and everything is going well so far based on what i've browsed on this forum but now i'm going to get into the details that I need to ask! (still have charging, ignition, and electrical to go)
Let's start small. Can you guys/gals tell me which Die size to use on these threads? i'm assuming it's an M20 x 1.5 but I can't quite track down information that makes me confident in that assumption.
Once I can spin a nut on there without damaging it, i'm hoping that will take care of my other concern. I don't appear to have any space for the lock washer, is this normal before tightening the nut on there? I've cleaned away any debris behind it but it doesn't look like the clearances are normal.
Thanks for your input!
Kyle

Hi Kyle and welcome,
First, that ain't an ordinary nut that holds the sprocket on, it has a pocket machined in it's inner face for the shaft's splines to enter and fit into the lockwasher.
You gotta reef that nut up real tight, BTW.
Me, I'd try dressing out any thread damage with a fine triangular file as there's too much stuff in the way to allow free swing for a die-holder and a die nut is WAY costly for a single use.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/ever-u...ou-have-one-heres-a-how-to.33883/#post-343359
Yes your set up looks right it's a bit of a trick get that lock washer in there just right and have it stay there while you tighten the nut. . I know this because of how many I've removed that were all f#$%^'d up. I can usually just flatten the poor mashed up washer with a hammer, file the notches a bit and reuse. Note; the recessed side of the nut faces in.

That's awesome, I was given a bunch of random tools including these and didn't know what they were for. Thanks for the insight!

It worked like a charm, crisis averted.

The only thread file I knew of was one I borrowed once from a machinist that was like a small regular file except it's thin and comes to a knife edge. You put on a magnifier and find the messed up spot and actually file the individual bent thread out of the way.

Back