1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Front wheel 72 XS2

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by prue1, Dec 31, 2019.

1. prue1

prue1 XS650 Enthusiast

I'll try this again, If I tighten my front axle I get a very noticeable clicking noise and my speedo hub wants to move with the wheel. If I loosen the axle the noise goes away for the most part, but my speedo hub still wants to move with the hub, although not as quickly. I believe I have all the bits in the correct places. Does anyone know the correct length of the internal hub spacer? I think it may have been shortened by a previous owner, causing the axle to seize as it is tightened? Any thoughts on this or other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year

2. GLJ

GLJ Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly. Top Contributor

I measured a spare and I get 45mm. The part of the speedo drive the axle goes through measured 23mm. I'm not a machinist so the measurements could be off a hair. If you put the speedo drive in the hub you should be able to press in on it and be able to rotate it with no binding.
    upload_2019-12-31_13-52-31.png
    A few pics of a spare hub.
    upload_2019-12-31_13-51-5.png
    upload_2019-12-31_13-51-46.png

Mailman likes this.
  3. prue1

prue1 XS650 Enthusiast

My spacer measures 43mm. You wouldn't want to sell me your spare would you? Thanks.

4. GLJ

Let me think about it.

5. GLJ

6. prue1

prue1 XS650 Enthusiast

Thanks GLJ, I'll check that out. Have a great new years eve!

Mailman and gggGary like this.
  7. prue1

prue1 XS650 Enthusiast

8. GLJ

I'm out of town on business right now. When I get home at the end of next week I'll PM you. I think I can help you out.

9. prue1

prue1 XS650 Enthusiast

I look forward to your message, thanks. In the mean time I will do some searching.

10. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Turn down the one you got from partzilla? Anyone with a metal lathe could do it. Hint take the along the wheel/hub, length is critical. In your want ad emphasize that it MUST be from a 72 or you will just get another "wrong length" part.

11. prue1

prue1 XS650 Enthusiast

Thanks.

gggGary likes this.
  12. GLJ

prue1
    I don't normally sell parts. In your case I'll make an exception. I'll PM you with price.
    GLJ