Front wheel and brake caliber alignment

JRay77

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I have a bunch of random XS parts and I'm trying to put a front end together. I can use washers to space the wheelforks out far enough to get the brake caliber on and over the rotor. Then the axle isn't long enough. I can't get a pin through the axle castle nut. Is there a longer front axle?
IMG_1355.JPG
IMG_1356.JPG
IMG_1357.JPG

Hi JRay.
if you are serious and your post ain't simply 10 days too late for April Fool's Day,
what you got there is a '76 or earlier brake disk trying to misgenate with a '77 or later brake caliper.
Splaying the forks apart with washers will not only need a longer axle, it will mean that the fork legs
won't be parallel to each other which in turn means that they won't work.
Best you find a later disk instead.

Hi JRay.
if you are serious and your post ain't simply 10 days too late for April Fool's Day,
what you got there is a '76 or earlier brake disk trying to misgenate with a '77 or later brake caliper.
Splaying the forks apart with washers will not only need a longer axle, it will mean that the fork legs
won't be parallel to each other which in turn means that they won't work.
Best you find a later disk instead.
I was wondering about the disc. Go figure I have three-four older disc. Why I was thinking they were all the same. I know the forks went to 35mm. Should of figured the rest changed also. Brain fart. Haha! Of course, the only newer one I have is on a bike. 1/4" is a lot of spacing. I get frustrated and make bad decisions. Also dealing with these hacked up bobbers, I run into a lot of crazy spacing scenarios. I take pictures before removing old wheels. Shit is a high level game of Tetris. Haha! Again and always, thanks for the answer. It is appreciated.

Hi JRay,
don't beat yourself up too bad. I too found out about the dish height difference the hard way.
Bought myself a pair of aluminum-rim wire wheels for nostalgia's sake and flung 'em into my Heritage Special in place of the stock artillery wheels.
Had a serious WTF??? moment when the front's 2-piece disk tried to interpenetrate the one-pot caliper.
The good news is that the one-piece disk bolts right on.
Note that XS11 brake disks are a swap and the later model XS11 slotted disks save you from all that tedious drill-press work.
Also note that XS750/850 disks will also bolt to your XS650 wheel but they are the same smaller OD as an XS650 rear disk.

Yes, that old style disc has 5mm more offset. Spread the forks that much and they will bind. But, here's something you can try. I've been meaning to try it myself as well because I think those old discs look cooler than the new ones.

Start by removing the disc from the carrier and flipping it over. That will gain you about 3mm less offset. Then, mount the wheel with just one washer on the disc side. That should push the disc over enough to align it but not make the axle too short. The stepped portion of the axle on the other side and the speedo drive should have enough room to slide back that little bit (1.5-2mm). This shouldn't splay the fork legs apart and bind them up.

Back