Left and Right chain adjuster

Squishman

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I torqued my front sprocket this morning to my max setting on my wrench at 80 ft lbs. I actually went past that a tad to probably 85. I used 5Twins' method using gasket seal. Hopefully this seals my leak as you guys suggested it might. Oh, I just put a 1x1 stick through the back wheel. That worked great. But anyway, I also got a new tire. I didn't notice until I put it back together that it appears that I have two left side chain adjusters. The mark is upside down on the right one. So I scratched a mark as close as I could with a scribe. Seemed to work fine. But I think I'll keep my eye out for a right one. The castle nut and adjuster bolt and nut are slightly knarly, so I'll get some new ones of those eventually too. But I am correct, correct? That there is certainly a left and a right adjuster?

there are but the left adjuster has a smaller hole on the outside that fits the threaded portion of the axle.
1711816834145.png

PS 80ft pounds sounds light, that sprocket nut likes TIGHT!
Use your torque wrench to that #, then add an Oogy Doogy or two to it with a breaker bar.
Super important you get the notched washer engaged in the shaft notches before tightening, it's a bit tricky.

There certainly is a left and right adjuster. The correct direction for the rear axle is castle nut on the sprocket side.
Do this and you missing mark will magically appear
😉
View attachment 303810
I don't get how it appears. It is in the wrong way. Nut on right. Think it matters much for now? Or do it next time? Unless your magic makes sense if I go ahead and put the axel in correctly.

PS 80ft pounds sounds light, that sprocket nut likes TIGHT!
Use your torque wrench to that #, then add an Oogy Doogy or two to it with a breaker bar.
Super important you get the notched washer engaged in the shaft notches before tightening, it's a bit tricky.
I used my breaker bar with a 2 foot extension. It moved a tad. But I stopped thinking it was going to break the chain. It's tight now!

......and note that the adjusters have a washer of sorts welded to them on one side. That goes to the outside when assembling......thinking you might have one flipped thus seeing the adjuster mark on one and not the other. Best to put it the way it should be, castle nut on sprocket side etc.

If you have some nail polish or something like that put a bit on the nut and shaft together so you can visually tell if has moved next time
And yes when I do color my nails I use brilliant red cause I think it offsets my ruddy complexion

It’s there upside down, take a look u

......and note that the adjusters have a washer of sorts welded to them on one side. That goes to the outside when assembling......thinking you might have one flipped thus seeing the adjuster mark on one and not the other. Best to put it the way it should be, castle nut on sprocket side etc.
No. The fat, washer side is outside on both. Left has a mark, right side, I made a mark.

There certainly is a left and right adjuster. The correct direction for the rear axle is castle nut on the sprocket side.
Do this and you missing mark will magically appear
😉
View attachment 303810
Ok, XST! I still have no idea how you predicted that magic. I pulled the axel out and flipped over and traded left to right the adjusters and I now have a mark on both. iirc, only one had 2 marks. But not sure I am remembering correctly. I was like "what in tarnation is a-goin' on here?" Anyway, now I have the axel in right to left.

Back