Front wheel, no brake

redbyron

Briar Hopper
Reaction score
I've got a xs650 that I'm bobbing and I was going to remove my front disc. Will I have to use some spacers on my axle to keep the proper distance between the forks?

I'm not sure about the spacers, but I just want to say that that is a bad idea only running a rear brake. The back brake on these bikes will not stop you quickly enough in an immediate situation or it will lock up and down ya go. 70% of your stopping is with the front. My all newly rebuilt rear brakes will not stop my bike going over 35mph. I can stand on it and it's a very scary feeling.
Just wanted to state my thoughts on safety.

Not sure of the answer but get prepared for tons of people on here to tell you how big of an idiot you are for not running a front brake. Same thing happened to me. Dont let them change your mind.

Well I have to admit I've never ridden a xs650 so I don't know how well the rear brakes are on them, but I've ridden lots of other bikes and hardly ever used the front brake.

Let the dudes know over at chopcult you plan on ditching the front brake.

Then you'll get a buncha :rock:

I've ridden lots of other bikes and hardly ever used the front brake.
Ever wonder why there are so few "old riders" who don't believe in front brakes?

You should learn how to
"put "R" down" that's how the Harley riders used to do it.

There's a thread over on jockey journal with a shovelhead running a spool front wheel. Somebody asked his why he is running disc on the rear when drum would look more cohesive with the springer front end/etc. He said he "likes to be able to stop" which is funny considering he has no front brake on the bike.

That said... I've ridden bikes with no front brake and you can deal with it... just don't try to stop quickly on a descent or take it out on the highway. :p

I got a bud who "had to" put down a chopped sporty, slid it into the back of a truck. Saw his "leg" one time when he was swimming. I now know why he had to threaten to kill the docs to keep them from cutting it off. Nope you don't need front brakes or a helmet cause you got it figured out. Yeah there are a bunch O bastards about brakes around here, that won't change. I crashed a few drum front brake bikes because even a drum wasn't enough for the dog, old lady backing out, my inattention etc.

I went the next day and bought a $400.00 full face helmet after watching Marco Simoncelli's crash. I know he lost his helmet when he got hit, and was probably already dead, but seeing his bare face slide across the asphalt for 30 yards made me think.
Life is not all trucker hats and bar hopping. There's a ton of cell phone slaves on the roads doing everything they can to not look for you.

I've got a xs650 that I'm bobbing and I was going to remove my front disc. Will I have to use some spacers on my axle to keep the proper distance between the forks?

to answer your question, you do not need to add a spacer to run without a disc. once you remove it, you will see why. As for the idea of running without a front brake, who cares, it's your choice, not mine or anyone else's. next thing you know, everyone will be telling you what healthy foods you should eat and to quit smoking and other things that is really nobody's business but yours. then people will start with he "what ifs",to which there is no end.

to answer your question, you do not need to add a spacer to run without a disc. once you remove it, you will see why. As for the idea of running without a front brake, who cares, it's your choice, not mine or anyone else's. next thing you know, everyone will be telling you what healthy foods you should eat and to quit smoking and other things that is really nobody's business but yours. then people will start with he "what ifs",to which there is no end.
they already do:(

I agree with James, your bike, ride it how you want to.
Things like no brakes, no helmets, no or tiny lighting. All good things, they help weed out the stupid.
Leo

People can do what ever they want. I have no problem with it. Just my view on safety.
As long as my tax dollars are not going to pay for some uninsured mush brains stay in shock trama, people can ride however they want.

No one on here is TELLING you what to do, we are merely saying running with no front brake is stupid. But it IS your choice. We just want you to hear that opinion from a bunch of riders with a bunch of years of riding time before you decide. All too often when a rider is standing there getting ready to pull a stupid stunt the only ones in the crowd heard from are the "do it, do it" guys wanting to see blood. I've seen blood, don't need to see more. Oh yeah, in many states, no front brake is against the law.

Do you think motorcycle manufactors would put a front brake on their bikes if it was not needed? They would do it the cheapest way.

Oh yeah, in many states, no front brake is against the law.

Yay! Laws!!!

Alabama:
Section 32-12-24 Brakes
(f) Every motor-driven cycle when operated upon the highway shall be equipped with at least one brake, which may be operated by hand or foot.

Alaska:
No info I could find

Arizona:
2011 Arizona Revised Statutes
Title 28 Transportation
28-952 Required brake equipment
2. A motorcycle, an all-terrain vehicle and every motor driven cycle when operated on a highway shall be equipped with at least one brake that may be operated by hand or foot.

Arkansas:
2010 Arkansas Code
Title 27 - Transportation
Subtitle 3 - Motor Vehicles And Their Equipment
Chapter 37 - Equipment Regulations
Subchapter 5 - Brakes
§ 27-37-501 - Equipment required.
(b) Every motorcycle and every motor-driven cycle, when operated upon a highway, shall be equipped with at least one (1) brake, which may be operated by hand or foot.

California:
V C Section 26311 Service Brakes on All Wheels
26311. (a) Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with service brakes on all wheels, except as follows:
6) Any motorcycle manufactured prior to 1966. Such motorcycle shall be equipped with brakes on at least one wheel.

Colorado:
42-4-223. Brakes.
(1) Brake equipment required:
(b) Every motorcycle, motorized bicycle, and bicycle with motor attached, when operated upon a highway, shall be equipped with at least one brake, which may be operated by hand or foot.

Connecticut:
2011 Connecticut Code
Title 14 Motor Vehicles. Use of the Highway By Vehicles. Gasoline
Chapter 246 Motor Vehicles
Sec. 14-80i. Brake equipment and handlebars of motorcycles. (a) Each motorcycle or motorcycle and sidecar shall be equipped with at least one brake adequate to stop it within a proper distance as defined under the provisions of section 14-80h. Any motorcycle designated as a 1974 or later model and operated on the highways of this state shall be equipped with brakes on both the front and rear wheels

Delaware:
2006 Delaware Code - Subchapter I — Equipment Requirements
A motorcycle need be equipped with only 1 brake.

Florida:
2010 Florida Code
TITLE XXIII MOTOR VEHICLES
Chapter 316 STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL
316.440 Brake equipment required.
3) BRAKES ON ALL WHEELS.--Every vehicle shall be equipped with brakes acting on all wheels

Georgia:
2010 Georgia Code
TITLE 40 - MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
CHAPTER 8 - EQUIPMENT AND INSPECTION OF MOTOR VEHICLES
ARTICLE 1 - EQUIPMENT GENERALLY
PART 3 - BRAKES
§ 40-8-50 - Brakes required
(c) Every motorcycle and motor driven cycle manufactured after January 1, 1974, when operated upon a highway, shall be equipped with at least two brakes which may be operated by hand or foot.

Hawaii:
No Info found

Idaho:
2011 Idaho Code
TITLE 49 MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 9 VEHICLE EQUIPMENT
49-933 BRAKES.
(2) Every motorcycle and every motor-driven cycle, when operated upon a highway, shall be equipped with at least one (1) brake, which may be operated by hand or foot.

Illinois:
VEHICLES
(625 ILCS 5/) Illinois Vehicle Code.
2. Every motor-driven cycle when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with at least one brake which may be operated by hand or foot.

Indiana:
IC 9-19-3-2
Motorcycles
Sec. 2. A motorcycle and a motor-driven cycle, when operated upon a highway, must be equipped with at least one (1) brake, which may be operated by hand or foot.

Iowa:
S5.1 Required equipment—split service brake system. Each motorcycle shall have either a split service brake system or two independently actuated service brake systems

Kansas:
2011 Kansas Code
Chapter 8. - AUTOMOBILES AND OTHER VEHICLES
Article 18. - UNIFORM ACT REGULATING TRAFFIC; EQUIPMENT ON MOTORCYCLES AND MOTOR-DRIVEN CYCLES
8-1807. Brakes. Every motorcycle and motor-driven cycle shall comply with the provisions of subsection (a) of K.S.A. 8-1734, except that the wheel of a sidecar attached to a motorcycle or to a motor-driven cycle, and the front wheel of a motor-driven cycle need not be equipped with brakes

Kentucky:
(2) Every motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, when operated upon a highway shall
be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of and to stop and hold
the vehicle.

Louisiana:
RS 32:341
B. Every motorcycle and every motor-driven cycle, when operated upon a highway of this state, shall be equipped with at least one brake, which may be operated by hand or foot.

Maine:
C. A motorcycle, within 30 feet, from a speed of 20 miles per hour.

Maryland:
Md. TRANSPORTATION Code Ann. § 22-304
(d) Brakes on all wheels. -- Every vehicle shall be equipped with brakes acting on all wheels

Massachusetts:
Each motorcycle shall have either a split service brake system or two independently actuated service brake systems

Back