frustrated by my clutch

the red baron

Ray The red baron
Reaction score
ive got a 73 TX650, ive replaced the entire clutch from lever to plates but still have the same problem of the the clutch not disengaging when the lever is pulled, i read a thread a while ago that if you over tighten the screws over the clutch springs that this can effect clutch movement.

comments please wise ones

Ray :banghead:

Hi,

When you rebuilt the clutch, did you index the clutch plates? have a read here - http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7366

Also, have you adjusted the clutch free play on the adjuster behind the chrome plastic cover, beside the alternator? There is a lock nut, which needs to be loosened, then the adjuster can be screwed in until it touches the rod then backed off a wee bit, then the locknut tightening. You can then set the free play on the lever.

Not releasing at all, ever? Or it drags a bit, a lot when the lever is pulled? with the cable removed does it move smooth and easy? Has the cable been replaced? Cables hate sharp or multiple bends have you tried it with the cable loose, say just a gentle arc over the top of the gas tank?

Iv'e replaced the lever, cable, actuation mechanism, rod, balls and clutch, it feels great and when cover was off there was movement when lever was pulled. as for lining up the pressure plate mine has no marks or holes, i'm going to order a set of alum head screws so i can torque them correctly, i will look at the alignment when i do that.

Okey dokey. If you are pulling the clutch cover, it would be good to run through the mechanism from top to bottom. As gggGary says, check for cable binding - if you've got the cover off, I would whip the clutch out then check the action of the pushrod at the right hand side when you pull in the clutch lever. If it's binding there's an issue prior to the clutch, in the cable worm mechanism etc. so you can trace it back over. If it's not binding then you can start checking out the clutch. You should definitely have a hole and a dot to line up in the clutch though.

Post some pics up when you've got it opened up :)

With a '73, he may have the earlier clutch, with the 'unsplined' pressure plate, and NO indexing hole.

If so, then there may have also been an upgrade of the original 6-plate clutch to the more available 7-plate setup.

And, if the thicker 6 friction plates were replaced at some time with the thinner 7 plates, without also swapping out the thicker 5 steel plates for the later thinner steel plates, there'll be too much 'stackup', and the clutch pack will be too thick for effective release.

The count and thicknesses of all the plates probably need to be checked.

A review of the tech section's 'clutch' thread, and a forum search on 'stackup', would be prudent...

Back