Fuel coming out left carb overflow and exhaust pipe

replace those 40 year old float and needles.

twothumbs2-md.png

I was hoping the float was leaking. I submerged it in gas for a couple of hours. It was tight. Going to order new ones anyway with the needles. It has to be the sticky needle. I might try swapping them to see if the right carb spurts fuel.

Attachments

• IMG_1702.jpg
    IMG_1702.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1699.jpg
    IMG_1699.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 90
Heat a cup of water in the micro for 2 minutes, submerge float in water for a few seconds, bubbles = bad.

Those need to be replaced.

Well i just had to try that to see. You were spot on. It was bubbling like a kettle from a couple spots. Puts my mind at ease.

Well i finally got a chance to try the new floats and needles out. Good news is they don't leak. I set them at 25 mm. Bad news is the bike won't start. Doesn't seem like it's getting fuel. I don't want to put too much down the plug holes. Already changed the oil for the second time. Should i just try spraying starter fluid down the throats. Miss the electric leg already.Lol
Just a note.It at least started for a few seconds with the old floats. Maybe the choke isn't engaging all the way.

That's possible. You need full choke or it doesn't work that well. I had to bend the little clip some that holds the choke full on on one set of carbs. The chokes weren't engaging fully and the bike was hard to start cold.

I remember reading that a while back about the choke, 5twins. I didn't have a lot of faith in my temp. fuel tank. It seemed like it was getting air locked. It was a small push mower tank with a see through filter split with a brass fuel T feeding both carbs. The cap was vented but wasn't getting continuous fuel flow. I figured there was at least enough in the lines to start it. I should note that my fuel lines are semi transparent so I could see the fuel at least.
I fitted a new set of bars and the throttle was sticking. Didn't think much of it. After about 50 kicks earlier in the day I didn't have much faith in it starting. I tried it anyway. Bam, it fired up like a raped ape. For about 3-4 seconds I couldn't figure out why it was reving so high. It dawned on me at that moment that the throttle was stuck open. Grabbed the throttle and settled her down. I was so fuckin surprised it started after all this time. Great feeling.

Well i can start the bike but the choke is useless. Can't start it unless i use the throttle. Choke doesn't seem to give it that mix it needs for initial start-up.

if it needs throttle to start its getting too much gas. The choke, in that case, is only adding to the problem. Check the plugs.

I don't think it's getting too much gas. I think it's the exact opposite. I kicked it around 50 times with the choke on /off no difference. Checked the plugs, they were dry.

But it starts with the throttle open? I haven't run into to that one before. Are you still having any trouble with leaks when the choke is on?

No leaks, Just got to give it a slight roll when kicking it. Idles fine. Idle mix screws turned out 3/4's of a turn. Didn't get a timing light on it yet. Stock jetting. Straight headers with baffles. Uni's on the carbs.

Are you sure the choke feed jet is clear? And the feed tube? You can visually inspect the feed jet to see if it's clear .....

ChokeJet2.jpg

I did check that but i didn't have a good flashlight so i used a laser pointer. How would one go about cleaning it out if it was plugged. I pinesoled the carbs and used compressed air through there. Might not be 100% though. that's got to be it.

The jet is pressed in so compressed air is about it. Also, the jet resides slightly above the fuel inlet in the bowl bottom. That whole area beneath the jet can get clogged up with crud. You may need to dig it out with a pick of some sort .....

ChokeJet.jpg

Due to the air feed passage that enters from the side at the top of the hole, it's difficult to get a blow gun with a tapered rubber tip to seal well. I have a needle attachment for my blow gun and that allows me to stick it down that passageway and rest it squarely on top of the jet hole. That gives a great blast of air through it .....

BlowGuns.jpg

I noticed that when trying to put the compressed air to it.I didn't even have a rubber tip. Couldn't get a good seal. Might have to fab up something like you have. What is it anyway? Looks like an inflation needle of some sort or is it a secret? Lol

It came in a blow gun kit I got from Sears. It's just a needle tip extension, similar I guess to an inflation needle, but with the hole at the end (not out the side near the end like an inflation needle). The brass section is just another threaded extension for a blow gun that came with some air accessory kit.

Back