Fuel feed issue

RustyBrat

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a 1978 bike, had vacuum petcocks from factory. I put in a Cleveland Cycleworks sportster tank from TC bros on it along with their chrome petcock. The fuel does not want to feed down to the bowls. I have to squeeze the fuel line over and over like a priming bulb on a weed eater and little spurts of fuel come down through the line and clear filter. Taking the gas cap off does not effect it. Any advice? Thanks a lot guys in advance.

Yes the bike has been run. I can run it til the gas in the bowls is gone then kick it over and nothing. Have to physically squeeze the line to "prime" system again. Thanks again for any help

Have you positively identified your carb set as a 1978-1979?

The bike might be titled as a 1978, but was really built in 1977. The 1976-1977 carb sets have two brass fittings which are vents, people mistakenly think they are a cross-over, and tie them together with a short, straight piece of hose. No more vent if you do that.
Post pics of your carbs.

Pull the brass screw on each of your bowls with petcock on to get some movement going with gas tank lid off

I have a 1978 bike, had vacuum petcocks from factory. I put in a Cleveland Cycleworks sportster tank from TC bros on it along with their chrome petcock. The fuel does not want to feed down to the bowls. I have to squeeze the fuel line over and over like a priming bulb on a weed eater and little spurts of fuel come down through the line and clear filter. Taking the gas cap off does not effect it. Any advice? Thanks a lot guys in advance.

A lot of filters will not flow if the tank is low. The smaller tank is like a larger tank half full, so I would try it without the filter. This problem most often shows up when you go to switch to reserve and there is not enough pressure in the tank to flow past the filter.

Back