Fuel leak. Dagnabit!

Well got it all back together. Hoping for no leaks... I checked it with air pressure and soapy water about 2-5 psi and didn't see anything.......What sealant do you guys use on the blots and washers for the petcocks... The new one didn't have new washers.... I used the sealant the I use on head bolts and such when I build engines for my car projects..... Say it can be used with petroleum products.... I guess we will see.... I also took the carbs apart and gave them a good cleaning and looked for wear on the needle jet ans such no visible wear I could see.. I had 2 carb kits ready to go but didn't see any reason to use them since everything looked good.. I did however use one bowl gasket.. I guess the PO tightened it down trying to get it to stop leaking because it was completely squished and when I took the screws out the threads came out with one off them...:doh:
Luckily there was enough good threads to use but, I had to take the lock washer off the screw to get it to work... As I said before some people shouldn't have access to tools!

You can also cheat the needle and seat by using a drill bit by hand and very gently twisting it backwards in the seat and massage the needles with your fingers and some carb cleaner. Work about 90% of the time
I use a thin dowel, sharpened in a pencil sharpener, and wrapped with 00 steel wool to resurface the float needle seat.

Back