Fuel T Replacement

I got an aluminum one with 4 O-rings on it from ebay for my 80 carbs (I think the guy was in Montana(?) Cleaned everything good and roughed up the inlets (where the T fits into the carbs), used a little yamabond (that grey permatex that is oil resistant) on the T and pressed it into the carbs. The yamabond kinda acted as a lubricant to allow the O-rings to slide along into the carbs AND then it set up and helped seal. The T that was in it (from mikes) always leaked but I don't know if it was my CARBS inlet holes were too big, OR if the T itself just didn't fit right.

This is a thread in the "Tech" section.
It has always worked well for me.
I insert a small piece of fuel line in each carb and connect them with the fuel T as pictured in the thread. Never needed any sealant either. It does take a bit of fiddling with a clamp, but it works great.
I bought one of those brass ones from Mikes and it leaked badly.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/carb-t-connector.1961/

Thanks for the information. Purchased a brass and print type from eBay but it was loose in the carb inlet holes. Need to speak with the seller and see if I received the correct part.

Did the fuel line repair to the original as described in the link and that did the trick. Only place I could find the line was at the auto parts store that carries small engine fuel line. None of the big box hardware stores had it.

As long as the line fits and is a fuel line, you're good to go. Mikesxs sells the line and it has worked fine for me.
I had 2 sets of carbs that the brass connection just spun inside. Leaked like a sieve.
The mod with the fuel line and plastic "T" works great. You may have to replace the "T" after a while due to the plastic getting old, but it's cheap enough. And by then, your carbs would need a little cleaning anyway. Especially with the ethanol gas.
Glad it worked out.

As long as the rubber coating isn't worn off, I've had good luck re-sealing originals. The trick is, with the mounting brackets just snug, you need to clamp the carbs together against the "T", not super, super tight but tight enough so it won't easily rotate by hand. Then tighten the top and bottom mounts to hold the carbs together. The "T" has to be held in there fairly tight to seal and this is how to get it that way ......

Fuel-T-Install.jpg

Back