Funky valve stuff

alex f

Anything xs
Reaction score
Okay so like every 200-300 miles my valves get loud and keep falling out of spec. I know that they will lose there adjustment after a while but I feel like that’s way to frequent. Only known issue I have is a possible bad guide seal in the right head. I run .003 and .006.

Any thoughts?

Yes, that is too frequent. Maybe the adjuster screws and/or the tops of the valve stems have worn through their thin layer of hardened steel and are into the soft stuff now. Pull some of the screws out and inspect their tips, and look at the tops of the valve stems.

5twins, is there any sort of measurement or visual inspection I can make to varify this? I have a few other sets from some parts motors I have laying around I was going to try

I'd also be concerned about sufficient top-end oiling.

DogBunny's thread:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/valve-goes-in-and-out-of-adjustment-randomly.28536/
This is what I’ve been concerned about for a while. I don’t see any oil in my sight glass ever, and I know it’s filled and then some because I do burn a small bit. But whenever I pop my covers the valves look like they’ve been getting oil. I just grabbed a spare set of tappets. I’m going to try those tomorrow.

Back