Fuse blown headlight not working

STVR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I have rebuilt my xs and it's almost complete. I put the headlight on and all of the wiring back in. Before I disconnected anything I carefully labeled each wire with it's corresponding connector. I put everything back together and noticed a couple of things. So on the ignition switch there are 3 positions. The 1st position is obviously off, the 2nd is for your lights to come but you can't start the bike. In this position the lights work. The 3rd position you are able to start the bike (mine is kick start). But my headlight doesn't work and the fuse keeps blowing. I put a bigger fuse in just to hear her start up and she does. So can anyone lead me in the right direction for the wiring. I'm not the greatest at electrical. I'm assuming it's the wiring for the lights, bad connection, not seeded in correctly, or possible wrong connection. Any help would be appreciated!

Did the headlight use to come on in both positions? Tracing down why it doesn't now will probably solve the whole problem. It's not a bad connection, but has to be a wrong connection. There's a possibility the insulation has rubbed off somewhere and grounding to the bike. Something broken inside the switch is a possibility too. Simple wrong connection is most likely though.

P.S. That is to say a bad connection wouldn't blow a fuse, although it would keep a light from coming on. My guess would be a wrong connection keeping the light off and blowing the fuse both.

Last edited:
The 3 positions on the switch should be off, on (this is the normal position for running) everything should work here, the third position is just a parking light, only the taillight should come on.

Back