Fuse box choice for the electrically challenged . . .

Evilclone13

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the popular choice is to install a bladed type aftermarket fuse box. But I'm very "challenged" when it comes to wiring, and to make matters worse the PO butchered the stock wire harness, and got rid of the fuse box all together. I bought the complete stock wire harness from MIkes XS and was looking at this as a fuse box choice . . . http://www.mikesxs.net/product/10-2006.html

any thoughts? :confused:

If you order a new wiring harness from mikes it should have that exact fuse box already wired in ready to go. There's nothing 'wrong' with that fuse box other than people say they can wriggle out of the clips easier over time than compared with blade type fuses, and with the vibration on these bikes, I believe it. Also blade fuses are sometimes easier to get (maybe at a gas station) - but I've seen both fuses at just about every auto store.

I'm currently using the fusebox that you linked to / comes with a new wiring harness simply because I had it, it was new and didn't want to buy another fuse box. Mine is mounted upside down and I have no issues with it (yet!). My fuses feel very tight/secure in place.

Eventually the metal clips on the original fuse box will break at one of the lower bends.
A strand of speaker wire will hold the fuse to the existing tab till it doesn't.
Or a plastic wire tie, bread wrapper wire, duc tape, electical tape etc.
Or you take good clips from another box and solder to broken clips mix and match to get one going. There is a thread on the old 650rider site about doing it.
The biggest thing in my mind would be future costs and availability.
Glass tubes are old technology and fading from the market. As they become obsolete the cost will rise.

There's still enough glass tubes in use to keep the doors open for another decade or two. After you get your first wiring experience under your belt you can change the fuse box for a different kind if you want. Since the tube box is coming as a freebie. I still use tubes. One thing to watch out for with them is sometimes the metal ends will separate from the glass. Twist the end every now and then to see that it won't turn.

One thing to watch out for with them is sometimes the metal ends will separate from the glass. Twist the end every now and then to see that it won't turn.

Yes - one thing I noticed about the tube fuses is that I find more brand new duds than with blade type fuses

Back