fzr600 front end swap, can it be done?

Samuraiace

Workin from the shed
Reaction score
I've been hearing around the web that an fzr600 front end can be swapped to the XS.

I'm looking into the idea and am wondering if it's possible? I have a buddy who has a front end that he says is in good condition and I can just have. he also has a set of 86 xj600 wheels. ( if that applys at all?)

I have a 1980 xs650G - it maybe the special II (not sure):shrug:

I have 34mm forks and 19" spoke front wheel.

I know the rotors match up but I don't know the years that are swappable, for either bike.

I figure someone has tried it before because I have seen some evidence on the web.I'm looking for any info on the subject and the pro's and cons to it.

Even though I'm a little wet behind the ears I do know my XS fairly well now after the last year of building, which was... well a little......hmm, whats the word? Interesting :yikes:
Needles to say I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty on her :thumbsup:

Thanks for any info on the idea :bike:

Not sure if the pics went thru or not

Attachments

• IMG00055-20091130-2103.jpg
    IMG00055-20091130-2103.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG00030-20091121-1623.jpg
    IMG00030-20091121-1623.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 750
Think I paid 150 for the forks the wheels I had caliper is katana triple clamps, h bar clamps and brake rotors I made. The rear end is fzr swingarm r6 single shock

Samuraiace while 34mm forks are POSSABLE on an 80 it's not very likely? I have an FZR front end and it "could" be mounted but there are some issues. I think the SV650 fork I used was probably easier than an FZR fork. There is a thread about the conversion. Two issues as I recall are stem length and brake caliper clearance. A pair of rotor spacers could fix the caliper issue and grinding out and swapping stems from an XS650 fork is the usual cure for stem issues but I have not done this one so it may not be "simple" Oh year is important, some newer FZR's use a different rotor mount set up.

gggGary, I checked the fork size a few times and keep coming up with 34mm.
I don't know if I'm just looking at it the right way, but I'll get some calipers on em and take another look:D The PO had a field day with her before me. :doh: 79 special engine and no points with pods unjetted, but what yeah gonna do:shrug:

I've heard you need to add a shim to the rotor if you use the fzr rotor on an xs rim.
I think I know a few guys who could help me out in that department.

I'm pretty sure the Fzr front end is between 88 and 91.

I'm not sure what your what you mean by the "stem", if you could elaborate a bit more on it that would help me a bunch.

Thanks alot for all the input :thumbsup:

Well it could be a late model 75-76??? 34 will bolt on a 77 to 83 frame. The caliper/rotor is the give away they are completely different.

75 76 34mm
xsparts 009.JPG

77 up 35mm
xsparts 010.JPG

How tight the clearance between the caliper and the wheel is
xsparts 016.JPG

The stems look very close could be a bolt on. I did NOT mike the race diameters though.
xsparts 014.JPG

The flange to flange on an XS650 is about 3 5/16"
On the FZR it is 4 1/2" So you will need flange spacers of more than 1/2" thickness and they are not flat there is a lip that needs to be there to maintain the centering of the rotor. There was a guy going to make the spacers, search FZR on here and you will find the thread about the brake swap.

Last edited:
Well I just went over my forks again and I got some better measurements then last time, they are the 35mm. There's a pretty good distance between the spokes and the caliper.

If the FZR fork swap needs alot of machining and lipped spacers and such (asking because this is currently my only runner) can I swap the rotor over and save some weight and cast iron ugliness?

Would a stock caliper work on the FZR rotor or would I need the master cylinder and caliper from the FZR as well?

Thanks for the info gggGary:thumbsup: I'll definitly be trying to pic your brain more if your willing:D

The FZR rotors have a different (less) dish. The stem diameters on the FZR match the bearings for the XS650. So it would be probably an "easy" swap to put on the whole front end with the FZR wheel and all. Not sure about ride height though. The FZR calipers are much deeper than the XS calipers because they have inner pistons. I put on an SV650 front end and that went pretty slick the hardest thing was the rotors were 5 bolt instead of 6 so I had to fill and redrill all the holes in the rotor. My frame is custom the stock XS frame has a longer neck than the SV so that would be a rather big issue.

xsparts 021.JPG

My only problem is that I only have one FZR wheel and I was looking to use my stock 19" spoked wheel that is already on my XS.

Can I just nab the rotor and swap it over to the spoked rim (leaving stock forks) and fab a shim to bump out to the caliper. Or will I have to rig a bracket make the XS caliper reach?

I've got a friend in the personal buisness of machining, I'll ask him if he can rig me up a bracket to lengthen out my caliper. Do you think that could be my only problems (spacing/shimming the rotor and then the caliper bracket)?

Back