gas fuel lines

blank slate

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
On a bs38 carb, do the fuel lines cross to the opposite petcock? or can they stay on the side they're on and go straight up? my lines are too short to cross.

14112ir.jpg

They can do either, depending on what you need. It might be easier with thinner walled Tygon line.

On a bs38 carb, do the fuel lines cross to the opposite petcock? or can they stay on the side they're on and go straight up? my lines are too short to cross.

Hi blank slate,
like WER sez, the lines can go either way.
Although your lines are too short to cross over, they are just about right to accept in-line fuel filters to which you can add extra lines to hook up as you think best.
Others have also added in-line tees to allow one petcock to feed both carbs.
Just keep in mind that every join in the fuel lines is another potential source of fuel leakage.

new gas was helpful, it actually held its idle. after 10 minutes of warming up i decided to go for it! hit the road for first time ever and it was nice. 10 minute ride and came back home lol. its 8 degrees + windy.

Ok, On the BS38 carbs the fuel line from each petcock goes to each carb. There is a crossover tube between the carbs so both petcocks feed fuel to both carbs.
You can even leave one petcock closed and both carbs get fuel.
If your lines are very old they should be replaced.
I bought some clear green Tygon fuel line off Ebay. It came in a 10 foot roll. I replaced all the fuel lines on all my bikes with it.
I can't remember just who on here gave the tip of cutting 1.4 of the hose off an putting it on the ends of the length of hose you use to act as a clamp, but it was a great tip.
Looks better than any clamp and works great. A bit tough to get the 1/4 inch on the line but worth it. It slips on the fitting a bit snug but don't leak.
Leo

I like fuel injection hose clamps, nice price, good look and they don't chew up the hose like regular hose clamps and best of all they are reusable. The screw is always way longer than it has to be, I cut it shorter.

Longer fuel line can be a good thing, if everything is running down hill.

Scott

I bought 7mm fuel line off ebay, and use fuel injection hose clamps. Easily the best way to go. Unless your hose is old, crappy & cheap, a 1/4 inch hose should never leak even without a clamp. Fits on pretty tightly.

Hi SantaFe Trailer,
those magic nostrums they try to sell you on-line don't work but if you really want to have another inch available for deployment, there is a way.
And it costs nothing but the willpower to eat less.
All you gotta do is lose 2Pi inches from your waistline.

Back