Gas in oil and puking

Were bearings replaced? I'd bet a blueberry donut the spacer is missing from inside the LH bearing. You will be able to trust NOTHING about this bike, the PO was a hack.

Last edited:
I'd bet a blueberry donut the spacer is missing

A67886E6-50AD-497D-B646-18911D16C2E4.jpeg

While I’m waiting on parts, I’m going to start tackling this little problem. Came back from my last ride to find oil slung out all over my rear wheel...

View attachment 196084

Cant see oil to speak off ,,Had " Self Lubricting " chain for many years outgoing axle seal
Chain lasted forever
But there appears to be an eccentricity I would put it on the central stand and rotating and yanking
I would think the bearings are gone .and perhaps more
Looking at a parts list and compare what comes out --> But don't drive it --> it can lead to a high jump

Cant see oil to speak off ,,Had " Self Lubricting " chain for many years outgoing axle seal
Chain lasted forever
But there appears to be an eccentricity I would put it on the central stand and rotating and yanking
I would think the bearings are gone .and perhaps more
Looking at a parts list and compare what comes out --> But don't drive it --> it can lead to a high jump
I didn’t take a picture until after I cleaned up the oil, but it very clearly came from the hub. I always clean things up before I tear into them. Just makes it a lot less annoying for me.

Were bearings replaced? I'd bet a blueberry donut the spacer is missing from inside the LH bearing. You will be able to trust NOTHING about this bike, the PO was a hack.
Not too long after I got the bike I had tires put on it. The wheels were kinda banged up, so I said hey while you’re at it, if you’ve got a powder coat guy, just go ahead and have them powder coated for me too. So at this point, I have to assume it was the shop that did the tires and disassembled the wheel for powder coat. Which is doubly disappointing since I drove quite a ways to get to a shop that had a solid reputation for building these very bikes. Atlanta Motorcycle Works. Even if they put it back the way they found it, I would have thought they should know better.

I've had several plastic filters deform pretty badly and at least one crack, leak.
Gravity fuel flow is VERY low pressure, each filter adds resistance to flow.
I keep this pic to remind me how much resistance a filter can have.
View attachment 177767
I had one like that. I kept running out of fuel with a half-full tank. Luckily it only happened within coasting distance of home. I cleaned up the in-tank filter and it improved for a while, but time had taken its toll and the mesh was irretrievably blocked. I found an aftermarket cheapy petcock (which was deficient in its function) yielded a good filter.

i just replaced the petcocks, fuel lines and air filters as suggested. Seems good to go there. Now I’m about to tackle the rear wheel bearing.
Assuming the notorious top hat is in fact missing, is this the piece I’m going to need to order?

A31C19ED-195A-409E-91A2-ABA356F272A9.png

My Cb450P.. some idiot left the petcock.. " ON ".... and gas filled the bottom end... so.. the idiot put a pan under the bike.. then the idiot removed the drain plug.. only to discover the added weight of the gas blew the drain plug from the idiots hand and.... holly f'n Hannan... we got the Exxon Valdez in the idiot's drive way... %^$$#*(7^ ... Grrrrrr... but the idiot did discover... after five rolls of paper towels... removed the mess.. the stain... a hard brushing with water and Blue Dial .... then half a box of kitty litter... brushed in... allowed to dry overnight.. then sweep up... Dang.. drive way was pristine... sometimes.. idiots learn the hard way...
There’s an idiot that comes to my house and does stuff like that ALL the time…

Yes, the "Rear Left Wheel Bearing Collar" for $30. Expensive screw-up, lol. If you're into scrounging, it can also be found in the '73-'75 XS500 rear wheels and the '73-'74 TX750 rear wheels.

Looking at the dates on these posts reminds me what a terrible procrastinator I am.
Well I got around to it in under a year. That’s pretty good right?

I tell my wife all the time when she asks me to do something I’m gonna get it done. There’s no need to remind me about it every 6 months…

Back