Gas leaking out of one carb

Thanks for the input guys.
I found someone on the forum who does a sweet rebuild, paint and all, for under $200. I think I'm going to leave the details to the experienced, this time.

replaced the float needles, made sure the floats moved freely and even checked to see if the floats sunk or bubbled in a tub of gas.. So I want to know if anyone has any other ideas as to what could cause the carbs to leak through into the air filters? I have an 81, so I believe they're the Bs34's.

If the carbs are original they should have black plastic floats, which are solid - can't leak. Did you replace the seats and also their o-rings when you replaced the float needles? Did you adjust the float level? Should be exactly 22mm from the gasket surface with the gasket off to the top of the highest part of the round part of float, with the carb held upside down. When gas gets too high in the bowl on the bs34 it will come out the main (I think it is) air jet, and run into the air box.

If the carbs are original they should have black plastic floats, which are solid - can't leak. Did you replace the seats and also their o-rings when you replaced the float needles? Did you adjust the float level? Should be exactly 22mm from the gasket surface with the gasket off to the top of the highest part of the round part of float, with the carb held upside down. When gas gets too high in the bowl on the bs34 it will come out the main (I think it is) air jet, and run into the air box.

I did check the float level, it seemed fine.. I should also mention that when I bought the bike the cylinder with the messed up carb had a hole through the top of the piston, leaving me to believe that something was wrong with them prior as well. I did replace the seats and the o-rings, I bought the complete rebuild kit that came with all the parts for that. It also isn't constantly leaking, it will be fine one day and leaking the next. Maybe the choke isn't working properly? Could a needle or jet be bad somewhere causing this? I've seriously been stuck just scratching my head over this for awhile.. I might try replacing the float either way, maybe it's bent or something that I'm not able to see with the naked eye.

It can only leak if the bowl fills up and that can only happen (if you have a petcock) if the needle and seat are dirty, since you have all new parts. You must read the scriptures and learn the carb cleaning sacrament.

It can only leak if the bowl fills up and that can only happen (if you have a petcock) if the needle and seat are dirty, since you have all new parts. You must read the scriptures and learn the carb cleaning sacrament.

Thanks, I just put in an order to Mikes for a new float, I figured since I was ordering jets anyways (have yet to change the mixture after making the exhaust) I might as well.I've had them apart roughly 4 times now and cleaned the hell out of them every time because it was doing this when I first bought it.. If I remember right when I had done them this winter the other carb leaked, then I took them apart again and I might have swapped the float into the other carb again. I'm starting to think that maybe that float is just bent or mangled in some other way that I'm not seeing, and they're only 13 bucks so it never hurts to go with new parts. I know I cleaned the needles and seats every time, even after replacing them, but I'll give the carbs another once over when I get the new parts. I'll just have to leave it parked for a few days. I know when it happens it runs like complete shit, but it was running great for about a week (the last time I cleaned them) until this morning when it started leaking again. :banghead:

^Honestly, I don't know if it's fixable. I've had three episodes like you describe in the three or four years I've owned mine. All with no apparent reason and easily fixed for the time being by fumbling with or replacing. It might just go along with riding one of these things. At least once a week I'm wrenching on my bike. A lot of it actually necessary :)

Last edited:
^Honestly, I don't know if it's fixable. I've had three episodes like you describe in the three or four years I've owned mine. All with no apparent reason and easily fixed for the time being by fumbling with or replacing. It might just go along with riding one of these things. At least once a week I'm wrenching on my bike. A lot of it actually necessary :)

Yeah, it seems I'm always adjusting something, not a lot of wrenching anymore though after the rebuild, just tightening bolts that keep rattling loose, (the joys of a rigid twin I suppose).. The carbs are the last thing to give me issues, and have been the first as well.. I tried yelling at them to stop it, and calling them names but they didn't respond, I also tried cuddling with them and watching a romantic film, that didn't work either (the girlfriend was a little pissed about the wet spot on the couch though). So I'm just going to start replacing everything I can and see if it solves anything, something has to help, if not I guess I can stop looking at boobies and switch to the ebay and see what I can find.

Back