Gas Mileage

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Daughter and I took a little ride today. Roughly 110 miles, about 1/3 55MPH highway and 2/3 45MPH or less secondary roads. I stopped at 92 miles and filled up (I really need to look into an XS750 tank...) and put in 1.47 gallons.

Assuming my odometer is accurate, that works out to 62.5 MPG. I'm impressed! I did drop from a 34 to a 32 tooth rear sprocket and I'm pleased as I can be with the improved rideability at cruising speeds and while the difference in acceleration is enough to be noticeable, it's certainly not obnoxious.

Beautiful ride, BTW. Down the west side of Blue Hill Bay, around the end of the Blue Hill peninsula and back through the central ridge and the blueberry barrens. Perfect day, cool enough for leathers to feel good.

I'm impressed too. Not only for your gas mileage, but that you may have actually received the amount of gas for which you paid.

Out here, it's gas station roulette. I have a small 1/2 gallon fuel tank for the chainsaws, that always takes 1 gallon to fill up. I have other 5-gallon tanks that will take just a little over 6 gallons. I have a 6-gallon tank that seems to hold just over 7 gallons. When my XS1B's 3.3 gallon tank gets down about halfway, it always takes between 2.5 and 3 gallons to top off.

This strange discrepency is worst on weekends.

I remember standing in line to pay for my fillup, and I could barely hear a conversation between a customer and the station attendant girl. Something about reserve fuel when on empty. Similar conversation occurred with the next two customers. My turn, I reported that my 18 gallon tank fillup took 20 gallons, and that there must be something wrong with the pump. Her response, straight from a rehearsed speech:

"Sir, the gas tanks always hold more than you think because of the reserve space on empty!"

Nobody out here gets good fuel mileage...

Doesn't the great state of Texas check the pump calibration on a regular basis?

Sure they do.

But, too many stations, too few inspectors, too much leadtime, too many advanced warnings.

Too easy to reset calibrations.

Big expose' on this a few years ago. Nothing came of it. Still happens...

I tried the link but I get "Access Denied". If we skip back a few years to Entry 1 then when I ride the 81 Special in a similar manner on secondary roads I regularly record between 65 and 68 mpg. My reserve needs to be switched on at approximately 110 - 120 miles and then there is still enough gas for an extra 30 miles. I am talking about a 4.546 liter Imperial Gallon. How is your fuel gauge working?

4.546 liter Imperial Gallon???
That ain't done out here.
Tuesday thru Thursday, it's about a 3.5 liter gallon.
Other days, touristy season, it's more like a 3 liter gallon.

"Access denied"?
Dangit.
Try a search on "pump jumping" in YouTube. There's a few.

Edit: Try these.

My gas gauge is working great.
I feel much more comfortable during my backroads forays...

GCFG-Final03b.jpg

Last edited:
Just searched for "pump jumping" on Youtube and got loads of very athletic young ladies working out on trampolines. I admire their skill sets.

Back