Gas out of left air filter, won't stay started.

mike1968

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok. I'm new to the motorcycle and need some help. I have read several posts and am stuck. Background. Had the 1982 xs650 heritage special out last Saturday morning on rough road. Was running well, then started to sputter and lose power. Then stopped. I had just cleaned carbs from an issue with stuff in reserve. So I thought I had the same issue. I found out I had rust in the tank also. (I also learned that i shouldnt use 87 octane in it). So after using solution to get rid of rust in tank, cleaning of the carbs, again. I decided to change the oil, filter and sump filter before starting up again. (I just bought the bike a month ago and wasn't sure of maintenance.
I have everything installed and started her up. Put 91 octane fuel in. It started up fine, but then after a few minutes it started sputtering and then died. I tried to start it back up and it started leaking gas out of the left air filter. Any ideas? I know I have a charging issue (have replaced brushes and rectifier.), but need to get it to start so I can narrow down the charging issue. So I have been using a trickle charger to keep the battery fully charged.
I plan on testing combustion tomorrow after class. The spark plugs are getting a spark, I tested both sides today.

I've had that happen with sticky floats. Usually a couple taps on the side of the carb with a rubber mallet does the trick. Worth a shot.

Ok. I gave that a try. No go, but will plan on taking out the carb tomorrow evening and checking this out.

Ok. I gave that a try. No go, but will plan on taking out the carb tomorrow evening and checking this out.

check the floats. drop in a glass of gas to see if they float if so reset them. put a filter on the line at least for a few tanks. clean then again and blow them out with a compressered air

Thanks. The left float was stuck. Cleaned the main jet also. Took float off and cleaned hole. Put back on and worked fine. Now seems to be out of sinc or timing issue. Back fires at times. Going to ride home tomorrow and see how things go. May look at getting it tuned by someone who knows what they are doing. Just to make sure.

If it isn't charging, check the rotor. You're probably not getting a good spark. Those brushes you replaced each ride on a ring. The resistance between those rings should be about five ohms. You won't charge if it's much less (4 is OK) and it will just drain your battery. Also, you must have a good battery.

Don't mess with the carburetors any more until you get this charging problem sorted out.

I hope so. I figured had to get it to run. Now back into charging mode. How's the best way to test the rotors. I'm new at this. I have a multimeter. We tried to check stator tonight, but I was having difficulty getting readings. Tempted to bring it to local bike shop on Tuesday and have the check charging system out.

These are your slip rings. The outer one has been cleaned (with the No. 7 chrome polish pictured), the inner has not been cleaned yet. Set your meter on the lowest ohm scale, probably 20 ohms, and touch one lead to each ring.

SlipRingCleaning.jpg

Back