Can’t start the engine

Engso

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have xs650 from 1980. It was sitting in garage for 30 years. Only 680m on it. I cleaned up the tank and carburetors. Changed engine oil. Before cleaning right cylinder started. After cleaning neither will start. Spark plugs are new and spark looks good. Cleaned peacock and changed fuel hoses to clear ones to see if fuel runs from the tank. Right one does left doesn’t.
What would be the next step to fix it?

Tap gently on the carburetor outside with a wooden hammer handle or so
If no change.
I would take down the float bowl and see if the float valve is opening .

After 30 years sitting in a garage there is no way around cleaning the carbs, they are likely full of residues from the fuel drying out. If the petcock have a fuel filter in the tank I would check that too. Make sure you have new gasket on hand when reassemble both petcock and carb.

Hi Engso, I see you're new here, welcome to the madness. Why not tell us more about what you've done to prep the bike - a few pictures can't hurt. I'm sure it will get fixed, Raymond

Tap gently on the carburetor outside with a wooden hammer handle or so
If no change.
I would take down the float bowl and see if the float valve is opening .
Thank you!
After 30 years sitting in a garage there is no way around cleaning the carbs, they are likely full of residues from the fuel drying out. If the petcock have a fuel filter in the tank I would check that too. Make sure you have new gasket on hand when reassemble both petcock and carb.
Thank you:)

E, you can drop the float bowls while the carbs are still mounted to the motor. Chances are you will have to do a full carb cleaning rather than just clean the bowls and spray the carb bodies with carb cleaner....

E, you can drop the float bowls while the carbs are still mounted to the motor. Chances are you will have to do a full carb cleaning rather than just clean the bowls and spray the carb bodies with carb cleaner....
Hi Kevin,
I took carbs off for cleaning. Didn’t use carb cleaner though. Just gasoline:/

Hi Engso, I see you're new here, welcome to the madness. Why not tell us more about what you've done to prep the bike - a few pictures can't hurt. I'm sure it will get fixed, Raymond
0612AAFA-A3A5-4F01-ACA9-1A9085CAFDC0.jpeg

There are some old and wise veterans here that subscribe to the motto "spark first"... All of us newbies should heed their hard earned advice. Do you have a bright spark and have you checked static timing? (while carbs are soaking)?
If you are relying on a gasoline soak you probably will need compressed air to blow out passages. Carb cleaner with the little straw may work also.

That's an '81. First year for the oil level window on the clutch cover and the one year only rear wheel mag with a drum brake. The color too.

There are some old and wise veterans here that subscribe to the motto "spark first"... All of us newbies should heed their hard earned advice. Do you have a bright spark and have you checked static timing? (while carbs are soaking)?
If you are relying on a gasoline soak you probably will need compressed air to blow out passages. Carb cleaner with the little straw may work also.
Spark looks good. I’ll try carb cleaner. Thanks:)

Back