gas tank ideas.... Help!

kiser1991

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
just picked up a new project, a pughco xs650 mr luckys frame with a 4 under dna springer. I'm trying to get some ideas on what gas tank, handle bars and rear fender. I don't really want to use a peanut tank and when it comes to the handlebars I would like to get a set that kinda resembles Harley pan head bars. If anyone has any suggestions let me know!

IMG_03631.jpg 168361_thumb.jpg

I'm partial to TC Bros Wassel style, 2 gallon tank, like the curviness. Also Bike Master or TC Bros Clubman handle bars, up, not down. I like street tires too. Nice frame and forks you have.

Scott

+1 on the Wassell. Lots of people make that style tank. It's a reproduction of the original Wassell tanks used on custom bikes after the war. That's what I plan to use. They make a low, mid and high tunnel to position the tank differently.

A little history on Wassell if anyone cares to read up.

http://www.totalbikebits.com/wassell_history.html

Actually, looking at your pictures closer the bike seems to have a long, low stance. I think an axed Fat Bob tank would look good.

Hi kiser,
I reckon bigger is better for gas tanks and bars is whatever gives a comfortable ride.
What I don't see on your bargain springer frame is a front brake.
And these days a bike really needs one because it ain't the 1930s anymore.

I am going to get a better angle for a picture but i think it looks pretty good. I was wondering if any one knows someone here on the fourm that can make custom gas tank dashbords?

Hi kiser,
I reckon bigger is better for gas tanks and bars is whatever gives a comfortable ride.
What I don't see on your bargain springer frame is a front brake.
And these days a bike really needs one because it ain't the 1930s anymore.

Im debating a front brake, i really would like to keep my handlebars clean looking. Im thinking of going with vtwin inline speedster bars.

Im debating a front brake, i really would like to keep my handlebars clean looking. Im thinking of going with vtwin inline speedster bars.
Hi kiser,
if you want uncluttered bars, try this.
Fit a front brake just to save your sorry arse. Operate the front and rear brakes from the rear brake pedal.
Use dual hydraulic MCs or a single proportional hydraulic MC or ditto with rods and cables if you choose mechanical drum brakes.
That's the front brake lever moved off the bar.
Next, run an internal cable twistgrip to hide the throttle cable.
Move the clutch lever off the leftside bar and put it on the end of your jockey shifter.
You could even gimmick up a twistgrip for the leftside bar that'd work the bike's switches.

Hi kiser,
if you want uncluttered bars, try this.
Fit a front brake just to save your sorry arse. Operate the front and rear brakes from the rear brake pedal.
Use dual hydraulic MCs or a single proportional hydraulic MC or ditto with rods and cables if you choose mechanical drum brakes.
That's the front brake lever moved off the bar.
Next, run an internal cable twistgrip to hide the throttle cable.
Move the clutch lever off the leftside bar and put it on the end of your jockey shifter.
You could even gimmick up a twistgrip for the leftside bar that'd work the bike's switches.
thanks! That's a great idea I will do that!

Back