gas tank mount

ChopperRobb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
ok, so on my newest project...an xs650... i'm trying to figure out the best way to mount one of the lowbrow wassell peanut tanks without having the tank tabs eventually break...as is so common. any ideas? one idea i have is to cut a half inch hole in the tab and weld in some round stock to create a flat spot as opposed to the curved tab and drill a 5/16" through hole in the stock. then get a cylindrical vibration mount, with 5/16" male-male studs on each end, and use that as the way to reduce vibrations. of course i'd drill a half inch hole in the backbone and weld in a bung that has a 5/16-18 threaded hole....any better ideas would be greatly appreciated. In positive this has been covered but why not have all the ideas in one place.

well i'm not running a lowbrow tank but I am running one with tabs, the vertical ones, so I drilled through the neck gusset and then welded in a piece of piping and ran a bolt and lock washer through. My back end actually is pinned beneath my seat hinge when fully installed so it can't move at all. Has been working just fine for me.

Ok, I have decided my route on mounting my tank. I'm gonna get 4 tophat style bungs from Hugh and weld two into the backbone like normal. The other two getting welded into the tabs on the tank with the tophat facing downwards so the tophats of all bungs meet and are flat against one another. That way the tank can't "roll" from side to side....I figure in that case rubber mounting becomes unnecessary...???

i mounted my pnut that way. i thought the two flats would be a good idea. most likely was anyways.

DSCF8718.jpg

DSCF8717.jpg

DSCF8720.jpg

DSCF8719.jpg

my tank ended up cracking at the bottom of the tank at the crease where it was pressed....on both sides, heres one side fixed. 3 weeks later the other side cracked.

DSCF8722.jpg

lowbrow said they havent heard of any tanks cracking like that, even with the flat mounting and the innertube rubber mounting. they sent me a new one.

my new tank i just drilled holes and rubber mounted the shit out of it.

sorry this went off track a little.

Cros,
Yeah man, I'm hoping mine doesn't do that...I'm gonna run it for several months before I do any serious paintwork on it to make sure. I'd be pissed to have a paintjob screwed up.

Back