Gas tank on an 08 Night Rod.

ridethroughlife

xs650 rookie
Reaction score
OoOoOoOoOoOhhhhhhhhh. Well that explains that. I would have asked someone there, but no one wanted to talk to me. I guess because showing up on a bicycle doesn't really inspire confidence in the worker trying to sell bikes.

OoOoOoOoOoOhhhhhhhhh. Well that explains that. I would have asked someone there, but no one wanted to talk to me. I guess because showing up on a bicycle doesn't really inspire confidence in the worker trying to sell bikes.

A longtime friend wrenches at the local shop so once in awhile I visit to say hi et all.

Sometimes I go look at the Hogs and usually grab a seat on a Sportster (if I had to own one Id get a 48 or similar).. and each time the salesman says the same line: Your going to get bored with that engine..

I think they get taught it school or something...

Its odd, because to me, the Sportster is lightest, fastest, best handling most powerful (other than the Porsche / Harley VROD) they make... how can you get bored with that?

Lol.

A longtime friend wrenches at the local shop so once in awhile I visit to say hi et all.

Sometimes I go look at the Hogs and usually grab a seat on a Sportster (if I had to own one Id get a 48 or similar).. and each time the salesman says the same line: Your going to get bored with that engine..

I think they get taught it school or something...

Its odd, because to me, the Sportster is lightest, fastest, best handling most powerful (other than the Porsche / Harley VROD) they make... how can you get bored with that?

Lol.
I actually used to have a boss that figured the same thing. I distinctly remember him telling me that he walked in there, told them he wanted the biggest engine [at the time the 1200 cc] and he wanted it in the smallest frame, and it ended up being the sportster frame. It was a sick little thing with a great noise.

My sister's friend has a pretty decent Sportster and wants me to teach her how to ride. She is a hot little number, hopefully we can work a deal.

My sister's friend has a pretty decent Sportster and wants me to teach her how to ride. She is a hot little number, hopefully we can work a deal.
Haha. I really hope you don't mean that your sister is the 'hot little number.'

I've never been a fan of Harleys, or cruisers in general. I liked choppers, but on a general scale. But lately the whole idea of riding across country on a sportbike just doesn't seem all that great. I'm buying an xs650 to do exactly that.

I grew up on Harleys, pops was a factory trained Harley mechanic. I like the aesthetic of them in certain configurations. Nothing like a smooth looking Harley done right.

I guess the only thing that has been an off-putting thought was the fact that they don't seem very fast to me. What is the top speed on an sportster 883? I know they aren't really designed for that, but it'd be great if it was around 150mph and still toured like a beast.

But lately the whole idea of riding across country on a sportbike just doesn't seem all that great. I'm buying an xs650 to do exactly that.

Ditto... my R1 causes pain after 4 hours.. I keep it though, the power is addictive and handling is astounding. (Helps I have RaceTech suspension ;)...) but I cant tour any great distance or I would fall off it in agony.. after the worlds most expensive XS is finished I plan on riding the shit out of it.. to every event within reach to every destination I can afford..

:bike:

In parts I don't have more than a few thou invested. In time over the last 4 years, I'd rather not know.
The XS as it sits now will take me wherever I wan't with enough comfort to make it without trouble.
The Harley will do it just a bit better, the extra weight helps hold against the wind better, not as tiring.
Leo

I'm not the biggest fan of Harley's but I have to say some of the work these chop guys have been doing to dyna's are unreal.

http://www.rocketbobs.biz/gallery.php?level=album&id=22

I was ready to sign the dotted line on an 883 Nightster (Black and silver w/ an orange pin stripe). The sales guy and I had worked out a deal of 8500 OTD (0 miles left over last years stock) and when we sat down to start doing the paperwork I noticed it came to about 10500 OTD. I got up and walked out right then and there. Since then it's left a bad taste in my mouth. Some day I'll have a used Dyna, but still chasing my Duc 749R first.

This thread has seemed to wander a bit but what the hell, I'll jump in. I have a few xs650 s, but ride a ducati st as a daily. Last summer I rode route 66 with my daughter on the back of an Electra Glide. It was great! Although most of my riding buddies don't want to admit you could have fun on a Harley it suited the trip perfectly. The pillion could move around, probably dance, and the bike would just keep on going, nary a wobble. This year a more twisty ride on the Duc in the Canadian Rockies.
So many roads, so many bikes, not enough sunny days!
Tim :bike:

Back