gas tank paint question

slackjaw44

greasy summmbitch
Reaction score
You guys have any special tips on how to get loose material out of gas tank? the sportster tank i bought for my project has gunk crap in it..what's the best way to get it out

2. What's the best tool/chemical for removing the paint off the tank?

3. Any suggestions on how to get a small dent out of it?

4. took apart the bike today want to clean up the frame a bit..thinking about painting the frame the same color as the tank / rear fender when the time comes..bad idea? it's currently black.

5. Like stated above i took apart the bike motor is still in the frame, took out all the bolts i could see and engine will not loosen from the frame what gives?

I'm not happy with the frame, i think it looks too short/stubby i'm going for a flattracker look not a chopper as you can see from my avatar. I'd like to stretch it 3-4 more inches

I know this questions seem ridiculous did a search couldn't find anything

thanks for all the help

I've used this and it is great for cleaning and sealing the inside of a tank, http://www.ppcco.com.au/kits3.htm
best tool for removing the paint on the tank I've found is good old paint stripper and elbow grease, others may comment on the dent removal, there are mobs over here that do dent removal for cars that have hail damage, google "paintless dent removal" I think they use compressed air to suck the dent out?
Hope this helps
cheers

acetone and a hand full of wood screws and slosh it around.
that works great for cleaning the inside. :thumbsup: ... I have used a lot of different methods for paint removal but I think aircraft stripper from your local paint supply store is your best option for removal

Aircraft stripper. hammer down any high spots and bondo a small dent.
I have always liked to use a chain to clean tank insides, gas is cheap and with ethanol it makes a pretty good gunk remover. then some acetone as a final rinse. I end up with a five gallon can of skunk gas from old bikes at least once a year, I slowly pour it in my riding lawn mower so the crap doesn't come along, about 1 to 2 with fresh gas. Lawn mower doesn't mind. I also use it for parts cleaning then torch off the greasy remains in a metal pan. This violates about a million safety rules but yah gotta git rid of that crap somehow, I have a large open area to do it in and I like fire.....

If all the bolts are out and they didn't warp the crap out of the frame while welding on the hardtail with the engine in...... the engine should come out. Go ahead stretch it, it won't get worse. Get a pro to weld it, a jig is very helpful.

i was hoping to stay away from bondo but oh well. Can i use a wirebrush head on a grinder to remove paint off the frame and tank? i was thinking about it but it might damage the tank because of the thin metal

"aircraft" paint stripper, then whatever, hand scrapers water and wire brushes seem to work the best. I tend to use a flexy blade 2" putty knife the most, I round the corners to prevent gouges. I also will grind an oval out of one side to scrape frame tubes. the stripper really does most of the work. MEK is nasty stuff, even a tiny bit BURNS on your skin. Open area, the fumes are dangerous.

I saw a youtube video once of a guy who got a heat gun and heated the part as hot as he could get it with the gun and then IMEADIATLY hit it with a can of compressed air. I think he help the can upside down to release the nitrogen. The rapid change in temp popped the dent. This doesn't work if the dent caused a crease.

Just an idea.

not sure the hot to cold would pop all of it but it's cheap and easy (how we like our women) so it may be a good starting point.

Bondo definitely, it appears that dent has stretched the metal. If you use a rotary wire wheel better to chuck it in a variable speed drill. Grinders spin too fast with too much momentum for paint removal/safety. Reapply paint stripper in crevices and hard to reach areas.

Bondo definitely, it appears that dent has stretched the metal. If you use a rotary wire wheel better to chuck it in a variable speed drill. Grinders spin too fast with too much momentum for paint removal/safety. Reapply paint stripper in crevices and hard to reach areas.

i really like the paint/hd logo..but oh well need to get that paint off :*(

Any suggestions on paint for the frame? do you have to use a tougher paint per say?

Slacker, PLEASE be sure to wear safety glasses when messing with those chemicals. STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM MEK. It is not worth the danger it poses, I know of what i speak. Get all the rust and loose debris out of your tank as suggested. Get it as clean as You can. Ship it to me, you are only 110 miles, Greyhound Bus. I will treat (not seal) the inside of Your tank with RUSTECO. It will look like new on the inside. This will cost You a 6 pack of Coors. After I send it back, then, Bondo and paint.

any ideas how i can get the damn motor out of the front all the bolts are loose it's not wanting to come out ugh

Is this the later model with the "mouse cage" front mount? If the three long bolts are all "out" you should be able to tap the cage out with a hammer and block of wood.

Back