Gas tank.

Tapps

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a 1979 XS650 with a TC BROS Hardtail.
At the moment the only tank I have to go on it is an old sportser tank.
I realized the other day, that the petcock is halfway up on the right hand side. That means a good amount of gas will not get used, due to the angle of the spine tube.
I understand some people have small capacity tanks. I am not a competent enough welder to try and move pertock.
Simply here looking for pics and inspiration, as I don't want to drill the frame to fit a tank that may not be the final choice...
However, I may have to use it. I've overspent on my budget, due to all the swap meets being canceled because of covid, and so buying new pieces online...(Mainly TCBros..lol)

Attachments

• 20200715_195710.jpg
    20200715_195710.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 149
DSC01726.JPG

Drill a 1/4" hole somewhere in the rear of the tank, and solder in a piece of 1/4" tubing. Soldering is easy to do, will be plenty strong enough, will do minimal damage to existing paint, and, as some will argue, may actually be superior to welding in this application because it does not embrittle the tank steel.

Great idea. Silver solder. You have little to lose. If your job fails you have the place where a competent welder can braze in a fitting. It will not be expensive.

Great idea. Silver solder. You have little to lose. If your job fails you have the place where a competent welder can braze in a fitting. It will not be expensive.
Is silver solder different than just solder a plumber would use? I have solder in my shed which is thick and I would use on plumbing and I've repaired a brass float with it. And I have a big roll of thin solder so old I believe it's leaking flux it's got hard little amber looking nodules on it, I would use with an iron to repair wire connections.

Is silver solder different than just solder a plumber would use? I have solder in my shed which is thick and I would use on plumbing and I've repaired a brass float with it. And I have a big roll of thin solder so old I believe it's leaking flux it's got hard little amber looking nodules on it, I would use with an iron to repair wire connections.
Any old common solder will work just fine for the application.

View attachment 172584
Drill a 1/4" hole somewhere in the rear of the tank, and solder in a piece of 1/4" tubing. Soldering is easy to do, will be plenty strong enough, will do minimal damage to existing paint, and, as some will argue, may actually be superior to welding in this application because it does not embrittle the tank steel.
Love the pic...

You look like a rat lover like me!

Back