Gas Tanks

rem61

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello XS Masters,

I recently bought a XS gas tank on ebay and got what I think is a good deal. I'm restoring a 81 Special and prefer the centered cap hole and the fact that this new tank doesn't have emblem mounting hardware I would have to remove. Anyway, I brought a cap from Mike's thinking is was the right one but it doesn't appear to be unless I'm missing something, see photo. Based on my research I thought all tanks with a center fuel hole are early. The ebay tank did come with a lock or a piece of the lock that looks like it belongs to another type of cap. If anyone knows what tank I have/year of tank brought or have any thoughts I will buy you a breakfast burrito the next time you are in Santa Fe, NM. See photos...

Attachments

• Tank 1.jpg
    Tank 1.jpg
    460 KB · Views: 195
  • Tank 2.jpg
    Tank 2.jpg
    480 KB · Views: 166
  • Tank 3.jpg
    Tank 3.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 195
  • Tank cap.jpg
    Tank cap.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Tank has odd paint.....is it from a Police model?..........pic of the whole tank would be nice

Posted a link in my first post..........eviLbay is your best bet.............and do different searches on the different models they came on and do an OEM search as well................hard to find a good chrome one........having the key part is a bonus as most cap sales don't have that

I'm in on the Buriito.........awaiting the air ticket in the mail.............

Thing to remember......these gas caps are rare. Often see the tanks for sale without the caps........basically the Tank ain't worth S**t without the cap.

The seller of that cap i posted has the key part for sale as well........Price.........well just think retirement money

Thanks 650Skull. I was so excited about your photos I didn't see the link, evilbay, seriously! The graphic is a decal so I don't think this is a factory thing but I could be wrong. Here's a full view.

Attachments

• Full tank view.jpg
    Full tank view.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 193
Yeah , I was just poking around on EBay looking for one. Found a couple well used ones for stoopid money. It appears to be a year that doesn’t have reproduction units made for it. I also looked at a couple aftermarket suppliers , again with no luck. You might try posting a wanted ad in our classified section, you never know what will hit. And like Skull said , keep an eye on EBay , but you might have to pony up for one. These old bikes make you work for them sometimes.

Yea tanks just a PO paint.........from the close op of the petcock it looked like it could have the painted knee-pad from a police model.

Decision time on the cap........wait and keep looking for a better one and that could be as long as.....................or bite the bullet and get that cap.

Third option...........look for a Standard tank, (Later 76-79 have a different cap that is aftermarket available), with or without a cap that doesn't have dents all over it..........

Back