GAWD, I hate wiring

angus67

Welder's penetrate deeper!!
Reaction score
HATE IT, HATE IT, HATE IT!!!!! (stomping foot here)
My bike runs, got the tapered steering in, fresh top end, solid bottom, clean title, everything seems like a piece of cake, but this GAWD DAM WIRING!!! ARGH!!!
I can deal with the small bowl of spaghetti under my electrical box behind the tranny, but the damn cobweb of wires behind the headlight is driving me nuts! Ive ripped it out 3 times in as many weeks, and just when it starting to look OK(and justOk) I turn the bars and yank half of them out.
Ive got front back blinkers w/ indicators, so there is six wires right there, headlight, (after market schmucks chrome fog light) Two there, and plan on having a horn to stay legal. I wish I dint have to have front blinks, would be so much cleaner up there.
The only thing that gets me to do it all over again is thinking" Those last times were practice, this times for reals". then I work,work,work, and it still looks like a$$. Then at that point I look at the wires under the electrical box, and am disgusted.
Sorry to vent, but DAMN!
Im sure you understand

Why not just get rid of the signals and horn? Are cops really that picky there?

When I rewired mine I kept everything but the starter. I have an original head light, so the bucket is a good size. I ran the horn out of the switch and down the left side of the bike to the actual horn. That is the only wire on the left side.
I omitted the right handle bar switch and my kill is now mounted on the battery box. The ignition goes down the right neck and follows the frame to the electronics.
All the other wires are bundled together behind in the bucket and run thru a piece of black rubber gas line (large ID) out of the right bucket hole, following the frame. I made small holes in the line so certain wires can exit. Such as the grounds that connect to the frame near the coil. It finally ends at the rear fender.
It looks really clean and the gas tank basically hides the tube. I did make sure I had a good range of motion by drooping the line first and moving the handle bars left and right. Once I felt I had a good length I ran the wires thru it.
It took me three times to clean up the wire bundle behind the light, but I got it. I used an 8 point reg/rec connector from mikesxs for the wires behind the light.

HATE IT, HATE IT, HATE IT!!!!! (stomping foot here)
My bike runs, got the tapered steering in, fresh top end, solid bottom, clean title, everything seems like a piece of cake, but this GAWD DAM WIRING!!! ARGH!!!
I can deal with the small bowl of spaghetti under my electrical box behind the tranny, but the damn cobweb of wires behind the headlight is driving me nuts! Ive ripped it out 3 times in as many weeks, and just when it starting to look OK(and justOk) I turn the bars and yank half of them out.
Ive got front back blinkers w/ indicators, so there is six wires right there, headlight, (after market schmucks chrome fog light) Two there, and plan on having a horn to stay legal. I wish I dint have to have front blinks, would be so much cleaner up there.
The only thing that gets me to do it all over again is thinking" Those last times were practice, this times for reals". then I work,work,work, and it still looks like a$$. Then at that point I look at the wires under the electrical box, and am disgusted.
Sorry to vent, but DAMN!
Im sure you understand
Have to agree, Angus! There's a much better chance of me learning Chinese as me figuring out electrical diagrams. I feel your pain!!

Angus, Your bike can prolly qualify as an Antique. My 79 does. I just tagged it as an antique, here at least, an antique doesnt require an inspection sticker. I am not running turn signal, or starter. I eliminated the wiring from the right h bar, and the key switch is mounted to the frame undeer the seat. I have eliminated every wire that i can. I just installed a Sportster HL with visor, and the bucket has plenty of room left inside it. Itonly cost Me $11 a year for Liability ins (on a policy with 2 other bikes) and the cops so far havent taken a second look at me. (knock on wood, here) Can You do the antique thing and lose the blinkers, etc?:shrug:

I wish we had historic here, but we don't. We have an antique tag, but it is only used for official parades. You are emissions exempt if your car was made before 1968, yes '68.

our emission cut-off is 80 rite now. my bikes a 80. We only get inspected if the Po-Po dosnt like the way we look at them.
I was told that any vehicle must have all original safety equipment working, and in use.
So, as I pass the authorities, I must be able to prove that my horn, front blinks, rear blinks, headlight, rear running lights and front brake lever activates brake light, as well as the rear brake do ing the same.
Thats why all the wires. I was just at the DMV today for tabs on my suzuki,. I should swing back in there tomorow and see if I need blinkers for a vintage if it qualifies.
The large fuel line running wires thru it is a good Idea. I've been using that split loom shit that looks like ass. Hate it.

I got the tube from a local marine supply store. It's a pretty large ID, which boat fuel lines are. Well, the boats I dream of. And it's black.
We have to have all original safety equipment as well. They even want a tag light.

I was eyballing some leftover car heater hose the other day. 5/8 seems like it might work. Might try to find hose with a bend it it.

I'm the same way - hate wiring!!! But, it's something you need to know and understand, especially if your stuck on the side of the road. troubleshoot 101.

Where and how is everyone running their wiring (wire tuck) heard of guys running them in a "fake" old bag or in their headlight housing. Always nice to look "clean"

Back