Gear lever shaft return spring

chinny1953

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok my lever is not returning to a position we’re I can select a lower gear , going up gears no problem . I have to return into position with my foot to select lower gear , would this be the gear shaft return spring being the culprit cheers

May not need to remove the clutch, yes there are a couple springs in shift mechanism under the RH cover. Breaking them is so popular that mikesXS sells replacements.

Cheers for the quick reply guys hopeing if it’s a spring can get at it without taking the basket off :)

These are the springs you will be dealing with. As mentioned, the two upper ones commonly break, but I think they have more to do with making the bike shift and stay in gear. The lever returning may be handled by the bigger torsion spring down below on the shift shaft by the adjuster .....

xFqHh69.jpg

That bigger spring is #3 in this drawing .....

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/1977/xs650d/shifter-2-xs650d-e-e006501-f

After doing some more checking I think the torsion spring could be correct, the above springs seem to high . Cheers the clutch basket would need to come off :sick:

Yambits have the 2 top springs but not the actual shaft return spring they do one for the 400se code is 90588 not sure if it’s the exact same for 650 model ?!! :umm:

Back