gear shift on 1971 s650 question

foxy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a problem with my xs650 1971 my gear selector shaft needs to come out to be looked at as this ring is snapped will i need to strip entire engine ? also if not best way to tackle removal

pic.jpg
IMG-20170729-WA0002.jpg

I believe that ring is a half ring, its supposed to be that way, but that shaft is not the gear selector shaft. Its the cluch shaft. That half ring should not ever fall out. If it was installed during the rebiuld, once the case halves are bolted together there is no way to come out.
If your having problems shifting, throw up a picture of the star wheel on the shift shaft.
If you want to take the shift shaft out, on the left side of engine were the shaft disappears into the the engine, there is a eclip. Take it off and the shift shaft should slide out of the right side of the engine.
This is my best guess to your situation. Do you have a manual?

the clutch selector shaft is not stable it has too much play in the spindle, I have another picture I will upload ,I have a manual but could not find out what the shaft was called

Are you missing or have a bad seal? A really bad bearing? I don't remember mine being loose up and down. I would think if the thing was that worn it would be obvious.

Back