General advice on complete rebuild

thunderdork

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a '78 standard that I was gonna redo the wiring on. So I decided to go ahead and break it all down for powder coating/paint/polish. I was wondering if you guys had any advice on the following questions.

Generally, what's good all around advice for any gotchas you guys have run into?

Anywasy to make stripping paint easier other than Airplane stripper and a wire/sanding wheel (don't have big enough blasting cabinet)?

I know I'm gonna go through and replace all the bearings and bushings while I'm in there. Any other parts I should go ahead and swap?

Any specialized tools I should get such as mototcycle jack, impact sockets, etc?

Wasn't planning on redoing the engine since it has all its bits and good compression. Should I not do it to keep from getting overwhelmed or should I jump in and redo it at the same time?

Any organizing tips for keeping things in order? Baggies, boxes, chalk body outlines on the floor?

Any guidance or advice for a first time restorer is greatly appreciated!

Thunderdork, an impact driver for the clutch nut is perhaps the only thing that is likely to be the big must have. As for rebuilding, you sound like you're ready for the challenge. I can take my engine apart still in the frame, but you might want to get an engine stand. Get organised with boxes, bags, and watch the videos. I've done a few, and Carbon's is fantastic. Dive in there, learn and enjoy. Oh, yes, and when you are asking questions, use different threads for different elements - electrics, engine, etc so the guys can quickly see the help you need.

ANLAF

Take lots of pics. It helps when you get that headscratcher down the line. When you start get mad at her,step back and grab a beer. Make it fun!

Service manual is where I start on all of my builds. Measure and check it all

If you have the time you might think of making a video diary as you go along - as RcRider says, it's good to have a record of what you have done in case you want to backtrack for some reason.

ANLAF

I have taken over 400 pictures, and they were invaluable when I did my rebuild.

You may want to check compression in the engine, and also check the filters for plastic and ally shavings, these are usually a sign the camchain guide and tensioner need replacing.

What is the mileage on the engine? Does it run? You may want to think of a top end rebuild. It's a lot less daunting than you think. Have a look at my engine rebuild to give you an idea.

Good luck, and have fun!!!

Back