General Fork Questions (1980 Special)

RadMax

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I finally got around to rebuilding my forks - 1980 XS650 Special - and I was wondering how much fork oil I need, what type, what torques for various things, etc?

You can download the 1978 factory service manual with supplements for later years to end of production free at www.biker.net (thank you, Jean Akers!). Yamaha made a few misprints converting from Newton meters to foot pounds; correct torque for your damper rod bolts is 14 foot pounds.

I recently rebuilt the forks on my 78 special and found lots of tips on here recommending filling oil level to six inches below the top with the forks compressed, ensuring that you pump them a few times to remove any air trapped inside. I think it was 7 ounces each leg, and I used 15/w fork oil but a lot of members say ATF is fine to use as well. I added 30mm spacers on top of the new OEM springs and also did the minton mods and they are much better than before. You will find plenty of information here if you search fork rebuilds or minton mods.

I recently rebuilt the forks on my 78 special and found lots of tips on here recommending filling oil level to six inches below the top with the forks compressed, ensuring that you pump them a few times to remove any air trapped inside. I think it was 7 ounces each leg, and I used 15/w fork oil but a lot of members say ATF is fine to use as well. I added 30mm spacers on top of the new OEM springs and also did the minton mods and they are much better than before. You will find plenty of information here if you search fork rebuilds or minton mods.

what did you end up using for spacers?

Pvc pipe with a piece of 1mm metal on top of the spring, just like a washer without the hole in the centre. I also tried 25mm Pvc spacers but the 30mm works better for me. I plan on trying 35mm spacers when I get time. Depends which fork cap bolts you have.

I got the progressive springs, and I’m pairing them with a set of adjustable progressive Forsas out back - it should be a weapon after all is said and done. What seals do I need?

I've never used anything other than the factory recommended 10 wt. oil. One of the issues with these forks is they're not real responsive, especially to the little bumps, and I feel a heavier oil would only make that worse. This is one of the main benefits of doing the Minton Mods, they improve the response. You do want to use a little more than the stock amount (just under 6 ounces). This will greatly reduce diving during braking and the forks just plain work better with more oil in them. On forks I've had all apart, totally cleaned, and are completely dry, I put 7 ounces in. A drain and re-fill gets about 6.5 (because you never get it all out). Or as mentioned above, you can set the level by measuring, 6" from the tops of the tubes, springs removed and forks fully compressed.

Back