Generic build thread title here! and an intro

hobodictator

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals! I've been lurking here for probably a few months or so now and figured i'd finally post up. My name's Jake and i'm from roughly the indy area. Broke college student, but doing what I can to stay on two wheels. Came to learn about these bikes reading cyclesource mags in the hospital. Got there by wreaking an r1. And after making a deal with my mom that she would quit smoking if I never rode another sport bike I was sold on XS's. Started hunting and finally found one a little over 300 miles away. Here's what I picked up: 79 special
20130717_020809.jpg

20130717_020843.jpg

Came with a bucket of parts as well. It had the side covers, a few airboxes, some sidestands, and misc junk. Wasn't running when I picked it up, but was told it would. Turns out the PO had no idea how to wire the ignition system and had also left the condensers completely out. Learned a lot about points as well. Carbs were also pretty gunked up, but got that all sorted out for the most part. The carb guide was awesome!! After that i've just been running through the bike fixing little things and getting the bike squared away before I start modding anything. No use having a pretty looking bike that dosent run. I can't decide between hardtailing it or modifying a brat style kit. Really want to build something for two-up riding, but still look good. If I go hardtail, I will defintely go with ardcore. They look awesome, and are less then a 40 minute drive from me.Here are some of the bike's i'm pulling inspiration from:
noid-bike1.jpg

noid-8-587x411.jpg

xs650-chop-noid-Bike4-587x440.jpg

xs650-chop-noid-CIMG2219-587x440.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Thanks for checking it out and thanks for having an awesome community here. Special thanks to 5twins, i've already gotten so much help from all of your posts on here

Surprisingly I still have this bike! It's been floating with me through college and getting some attention here and there. The charging system was never right from when the start. The rotor was shot. Trying to getting a decent tune without a charging system is not too fun, so that's pretty much permanently fixed. Next up is the rewire.

Attachments

• 0918152324.jpg
    0918152324.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 146
Finally managed the time to get it mostly wired up. Still need to add in the tail and headlight circuits but the necessary running circuits are there! And with a little ether I'm getting flame out the exhaust so I think I managed to actually wire it right. Next up is fixing the placement of the washers under and above the carb needle and we'll throw some fuel at it! Looks like it should be running just in time for winter.

Back